Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:10pm - May 8,19 
Well, with some schedule switching, I just got on a 7 day weekend. I thought the best way to start it was to get out for a bit and try for bass. Stopped at two ponds today in the Joliet area. At the first, I had a hard time and was nervous about how the day would end. The first pond has very litlle wind cover and i was only able to muster 2 bass for my 30 minutes. Winds were steady and made casting difficult.

After heading two the second pond, which is safe from the winds, fortune turned. I honestly lost count on how many bass were caught! Nothing to write home about size wise, but constant action for the hour I was there. Easily over 20 fish for that time.

Lure of the day was a 3 Inch Grub (Watermelon) and a Jig Head (1/4 or 1/16OZ. Not sure as they are all in the same box). Prior to this, I tried rattletraps/chatterbaits/Senkos with little action. Once I switched over it was the money lure. First were tight to shore with most coming from casts at a 35/45 angle from shore.

On a side note, I noticed many of the bass I caught had damaged fins with some actively bleeding. I've never noticed this before. Is this part of their spawn behaviors? I was leaning to the side of yes. If anyone knows, enlighten me!

Hopefully it will be just as good for the rest of the days!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:40am - May 9,19 
7 day weekend sounds like a staycation to me!

Thanks for the report, I am glad to hear you got some action.

A bloody tail fin is indicative of pre-spawn bass. It is generally the last inch or so of the bottom of the tail fin. This happens when they create their nests in a gravel/sandy bottom of a lake/pond/stream. The fact that you caught them closer to shore is also a sign they are sitting on their nests or beginning to defend certain areas for the spawn. Sometimes you can see them sitting on their nests if you slowly creep up on one. The female is almost always larger and the male is the smaller one of the pair.

I would be interested to know if any of the bass you caught were really fat in the belly, they could be carrying eggs.

Tight lines.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:09pm - May 11,19 
Thanks Paddymac! What you described is exactly what I was seeing. A couple of the bass had fat bellies but did not look to be females. Just males who were chowing down. Went out yesterday and definitely saw everyone is on the beds now though!

Board index » Lakes » Favorite Ponds
Jump to: