Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:07pm - Feb 11,17 
Hi Chi-towners,

We just brought our new Golden Retriever pup home. She has been with us for a week now and doing great. However, being new to pups I have some questions. I would like to start bird hunting pheasants and quail. I did some research about training the dog not to be gun shy. Our pup is 9 weeks old yesterday. At what age should I start getting her use to the gun? Today I purchased some pheasant feathers and sent. I was going to sent the feathers and try and get her use to the sent. Is it early yet to start training? Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:50am - Feb 12,17 
Start basic obedience training THE DAY you bring her home. Use every occurrence/incident as a training experience. My lab pup just turned 8 months old on the 7 th .You would be amazed at where she is in her training stage. My 1st pup in 46 years, I went through the same things your experiencing. If you would like to discuss this in more detail, PM me and I will give you my ph # and email.

Good luck on an excellent choice.

Bob M.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:51am - Feb 12,17 
Make loud noises while your pup is eating.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:15am - Feb 12,17 
A simple clap of your hands once, while the dog is eating is a very good starting point. Work with the scent, feathers and wings to get the dog interested. Once you can get the dog out to point a wing or scented dummy, use a starter pistol or a .410, and work your way up from there. Slow and easy on breaking them on the gun. Once they are gun shy, it is very difficult to reverse.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:17pm - Feb 12,17 
make sure your dog is interested on a bird before you pull trigger that last guy way right. don't clap make loud noise or hit pans.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:16pm - Feb 12,17 
Great info guys, I will start asap. Thanks!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:43pm - Feb 12,17 
Put the time and effort in, don't rush things, and both you and the dog will love it. Life just seems a little happier when you have a hunting dog.

Or two!!!!

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:35pm - Feb 16,17 
Thanks for the pointers fellas and nice dogs Tom. I started making noise with some pans while she was eating, no response to that. Then while eating I took off my slippers and hit them together, eventually getting louder. She didn't even flinch. It actually sounded like a shotgun, lol!! So,I'm working on the sounds while eating and will introduce the feathers and sent this weekend. I talked to an old friend who hunts birds and he has some pheasant wings and head to give her. Not sure on the head though, have to see what to do with that.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:29pm - Mar 10,17 
Nice pics of the dogs, Tom. Hunting over dogs must be a unique and rewarding (also a ton of work must be done). I wish they would show more in the outdoor shows on tv. And there is nothing like a new pup in the house.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:32am - Mar 12,17 
That would be helpful if they showed more on the tv shows. A friend of mine gave me some fresh pheasant wings and tail, so I tried to train her on the smells. Before I could get it out of the bag she ripped it from my hand and tried to run away with it. I had her on the leash and tried to get it from her. I never felt strong jaws like that before. I couldn't pry her jaws open and finally was able to get it from her. I waited a week and tried again with the same result. She gets crazy with them?? Not sure if I want to try again, maybe just a family dog now.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:23pm - Mar 12,17 
Beautiful dogs...I love seeing them work in thefield...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:37pm - Mar 12,17 
That dogs got a lot of hunt in her....spend time with her establishing ur role and she will hunt her heart out for u.... And be a great family dog.... Later mike

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:55am - Mar 13,17 
I would think that offering a treat or something more inviting than the wings would get her into the idea that handing over gets her a reward. My lab drops anything he picks up along the way, outside or in the house, because I always have a treat. A sock or some other object is not worth missing a snack.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:14am - Mar 13,17 
they are great dogs we have one that just turn 3, but she does not like loud noise or fireworks but still a great dog. very loyal and fun to be with. good luck------- bigfishross

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:53am - Mar 14,17 
Good luck with your pooch.

Board index » Game Bag » K-9
Jump to: