Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:22pm - Apr 26,15 
Hey everyone!

So after getting back from my internship I thought i would give all interested an update on my tanks status!

Everything is going great still with many coral growing a ton in the time since the last update! I thought I would give you a before and after shot of each thing that I can!

So. First is my Leather Coral:

In December

Today - The coral has actually gotten so big that we had to remove him from his origional spot and place him in a corner of the tank! I am hoping that as he continues to grow, he will stay in his corner and someday be large enough to be over the entire left side! Would make great cover for the fish and inverts!

Second, with the most amazing growth, is my Xenia:

December - It can be seen in the top left as a small stalk.

Today - That little stalk became this! It has tippled and maybe even quadrupled in size! I was floored when I saw it after getting home!

Third, is the Hammer Coral. While I did not get a comparison picture, the coral grew significantly. It actually grew to the point that it has split and formed a whole new piece of coral. When I first bought the coral it had 3 heads on it. I am now up to 7 or 8 heads in total. I included this picture because I thought it was great!

The next coral is actually still unknown to me. That is what happens when you leave you tank in a woman's care and they see something pretty at the fish store. They buy but forget to learn anything about it! :cuss I will admit it is beautiful.

Finally, I wanted to show my strange anemone. After sitting on the bottom happy for the whole time I was gone, he decided that he needed to be in the skimmer output. So now he is James Bonded to the wall almost sticking out of the water.

Well, I hoped you enjoyed reading and seeing the progress! If anyone has any questions about either my tank or saltwater tanks in general, feel free to ask away and i will try to help as much as I can!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:10pm - Apr 26,15 
Cool beans brotha ! I guess I didn't realize those things grew that fast. I always thought they were fascinating though. It's cool watching them open and close like a little hand.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:25am - Apr 27,15 
Can you tell me what kind of lights you are running? Fluorescent or LED? Your corals seem to be growing at an awesome rate.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:11pm - Apr 27,15 
I am running a Current Marine LED system. They have worked great for me since purchase and I would highly recommend them!

Search Google for :Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef Lighting System.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:26am - Apr 28,15 
Beautiful. How do you keep your glass so clear from coralline? Do you run a refugium? Show some pics of your equipment setup if you don't mind.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:20pm - Apr 28,15 
Coraline scraps off easy with a metal scraper...if you use anything else to take it off your front glass you risk scratches.

45g salt tank
finnex leds
10g refugium
mag 5 return

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:23pm - Apr 28,15 
I also really like leds but the show scratches that are inevitable in older setups

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:38pm - Apr 28,15 
BabyDuke - I use a Razor Blade to get mine off. I have not seen too many scratches come out of this. Maybe I am just lucky haha! In regards to equipment, I do not run a refrigium. I run 2 Power-heads with a Protein Skimmer that is rated a bit more for a larger tank than a 30 plus a basic heater to keep temp stable. I have thought about a refrigum, but I am going to save that for when I get that 75 Gallon

And how do I keep my glass clean you ask? Well, before I left for Florida, I had coralline covering most of my back glass and sides. While driving down I left the tank in the care of my grandmother who, thinking she was helping the tank and that the coralline was a bad thing, removed it all with a razor. Needless to say I was a little sad but no harm no foul haha. Plus, now I get to watch it grow back!

Bill is right with the LED's and scratches showing. Since it was my first tank and i was sure I would wreck it bad, I didn't worry about any scratches! The tank being used is probably 10-15 years old so I expected some bad scratches.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:18am - Apr 29,15 
I would think the razor would work just as well...the coralline gets stuck in those scrub pads and can do a number. By the way great looking tank!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:23am - May 1,15 
Thanks Bill!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:44pm - May 1,15 
Can you take another picture of that "Hammer Coral"?

That doesn't look like a Hammer Coral. Hammer do not typically spilt into new corals. They grow new branches.

It does look like a majano anemone, which is considered a pest and very easily get out of control.

The other coral that the lady picked, looks like a species of goniopora.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:57pm - May 1,15 
Grosen - I can take another picture! The corla did break a branch off before growing new ones! And it does have branches. They are deeper in the rock I put it in! and hard to see!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:17pm - May 1,15 
Puregerman55 wrote:
Grosen - I can take another picture! The corla did break a branch off before growing new ones! And it does have branches. They are deeper in the rock I put it in! and hard to see!

Take one, I'd like to see it please.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:51am - Jul 6,15 
Anemone's are goofy. They just go where they want to go.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Tanks Alot
Jump to: