Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:25pm - Apr 1,15 
Mechanical filtration is screens or filter media that actually traps detritus produced by fish. Mechanical filters needs to be removed to be cleaned of crap every now and then. There should be very little mechanical filtration needed if you do not feed the fish. Don't feed the fish.
Next there is biological filtration which is done by beneficial bacteria which builds up in the tank over time and grows on the surface of everything touched by water. This is the important filtration. This is the filtration which converts and processes ammonia ( very toxic to fish) produced by fish , into nitrites ( also toxic but a bit less so) into nitrates , which in lower levels are harmless to fish.
Do not scrub the sides of your tank or attempt to do big cleaning by scrubbing anything. The more solid surface area inside the water (nooks and crannies like on bioballs and scrub pads and porous rocks , etc.) the more biological filtration is occurring.
Concentrate more on adding surface area if you are going to concentrate on filtration of any sort.
Priorities should be oxygenation, which you have well covered and constant decent temps for the fish.
The water quality will be just fine. But if you are not happy when you test water quality , add something with more surface.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:34pm - Apr 1,15 
Thanks for all your help, I am not sure for how long I will have this tank going, I just got kind of excited to set it up and see if and how it will work. The inside of the tank already has some kind of slimy film on it, I guess that would be the bacteria ? If I was a real fisherman (like having a boat or going fishing year-round), I would have taken it to the next step, adding a water fountain compressor on the pump discharge going to the filter and keep the water cold for the summer months, but I won't need the minnows in the summer, only spring and fall, when the temperature in the basement where I keep the tank is not too high.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:00pm - Apr 1,15 
No problem. I just didn't want to see you struggling when what you have should be fine.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Board index » The Tackle Box » Tanks Alot
Jump to: