Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:35pm - Aug 20,14 
As the topics states, does anyone keep natives versus tropicals? I've always wanted to set up a large tank with some heavy flow and add some local darters and minnows/chubs that can be found in the streams around here. Kinda like this tank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74zi2T07hhk

My dream setup would be to have an 8-10' X 18" X 18" tank with a high flow coming from multiple locations. The tank would be drilled in and be run off multiple sumps/pumps. Would be a really fun tank to create and to keep some of the more colorful natives, especially some of green or rainbow darters....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:32am - Aug 21,14 
When I lived in the SE US, I had a sweet tank with various shiners and darters. It was awesome. The colors they have are fun, and they are easy to keep. Fun to watch shiners school.

They have some amazing native fish diversity in the southeast

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:32am - Aug 21,14 
When I was younger, I had all kinds of native fish living in my tank. Bass, catfish, blue gills and even had a small walleye once. It was awesome! I remember every so often the pet shop by me would have some native fish for sale like northern and muskie but they were pretty expensive if i recall correctly. I think if you ask them, they will order you almost whatever you want. I suppose it depends on the shop though. I gave my tank away to my little cousins a few years back but would love to get back into it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:46am - Aug 21,14 
I've had a tiger musky, a sturgeon, walleye, even a barracuda. You've got the right idea
for the tank set up. Moving, highly oxygenated water is critical.

There was a nice set up at the Shedd Aqarium last time I was there. Looked just like that
youtube video.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:19am - Oct 22,14 
I've head perch, blue gill and even crappie. It was pretty cool watching them destroy 20+ minnows in like 3 minutes!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:30pm - Oct 22,14 
I had a bass once for over 11 years. Got to about 17 inches. The fish ate 2 - 3 doz large minnows a week. Thing is what goes in comes out and had to clean the tank alot.

Remember one thing about a tank that big. It will weigh over half a ton full.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:57am - Oct 23,14 
A half-ton is a little light. The water in an 8' x 18" x 18" is 1000lb by itself. I have a disassembled tank that's 10' x 2' x 2'. I'd estimate the front glass panel weighs 300lb+. It's going on a steel stand in the basement when I get the time and money.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:45pm - Oct 23,14 
What is it about Fall that gets everyone in the aquarium mood(myself included). I used to have a very healthy native aquarium going, had bass, bluegill, diffrent minnows, crayfish, but I moved and I could never get it back to balance. They were very cool to watch and to get a balance between all the diffrent species. Love to see pictures if you set it up.

Cubic foot water is around 62lbs depending on water temp.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:16am - Oct 24,14 
length X width X height (all in inches) divided by 231 gets you close to the gallons. A gallon of fresh water weighs 8.33 lbs. Salt weighs a little more

Big Jim, I said over a half a ton.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:23pm - Jun 24,16 
I keep African Cichlids and stuff like that but I have never tried native fish. Its probably a pain keeping up with feeding carnivores like that. Plus the tank size you would need would be crazy. Would be cool though if you had a huge tank and lots of money to do it all right.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Tanks Alot
Jump to: