Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:21pm - Mar 25,13 
I want to upgrade from a 29 gallon tank to a 75 gallon one. I picked out the fish that I want to put in, but I want to get a second opinion on if the fish will be able to live together. I want to have 5 albino tiger barbs, 5 tiger barbs, 1 red-tailed shark, 1 bala shark, 3 blue gouramis, 1 eclipse catfish, and 2 black convict cichlid. I realize that these are all semi-agressive fish with different maximum sizes, but do you think that I will have problems? Thank you

Michael

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:18pm - Mar 25,13 
Mostly sounds fine, but, IMO I'd go for something else instead of the convicts. They can be quite nasty and aggressive, especially if you get a mating pair.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 05:14am - Mar 26,13 
It's been awhile since I've actively kept aquariums, but I remember Barbs being quite aggressive as well, and Gouramis being quite timid. Fish will nip at their long pectoral fins and they will just hide in the weeds. I don't know the water requirements off the top of my head, but make sure to look into that as well before you try to see if they all play nice together.

For what it's worth, my favorite setups were tanks devoted to a particular ecosystem type or region. You could go crazy with an Amazon or Congo River tank, with many hardy species readily available.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:24am - Mar 26,13 
go saltwater i switched my 40 gallon fresh 2 years ago and will never go back...im going to switch my 60 gallon as soon as i sell the rest of my frontosa's...salt isn't as hard or expensive as everyone say's and you cant compare and water clarity

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:27am - Mar 26,13 
fish are alittle more expensive but if you put the more sought after fresh fish in your tank your in the same ball park anyway jmo..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:53am - Mar 26,13 
Tiger barbs are aggressive will de-fin the gouramis and the chilids. But the Chilids may just butt nose and kill em...My convits are 2 years old and about 4" each they live with a Dempsey in a 75ga tank, they need the room. I took PVC elbows and made caves for them to hide in works great.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:35pm - Mar 26,13 
I have a 75 gallon with stand if your interested, rocks, undergravel, etc

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:31pm - Mar 26,13 
Taking in the suggestions to not have the tiger barbs and gouramis I did a bit more research and found a different set of fish that might work together. They are 2 silver-tipped sharks, 2 rainbow sharks, 1 African brown knife, and 3 pictus catfish. The only thing that I don’t like about this set is that all the fish descriptions that I have read have said that the fish will congregate in the middle and bottom of the tank. Any suggestions on what I could get that will stay near the surface? Also, what pet store do you guys buy from? I have been buying from Petsmart, but there selection online is limited. Thanks again.

Michael

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:50am - Mar 27,13 
That's a lot of fish for a 75g tank. Check the actual adult sizes of those species. Also, those silver-tipped sharks need salt as they grow.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 11:52am - Mar 27,13 
And for getting set up, I would skip the big box store and find a decent aquarium store...you'll get much better advice, and usually better quality and selection of fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:32pm - Mar 27,13 
After doing more online research I found another site called Aquarium Advice that has a lot of info that has helped me. I also found a tank calculator on the website, and put in what fish and how many I want to have in the tank. I put in that I wanted 1 x African Knifefish, 4 x Blue Gourami, 3 x Pictus Catfish (1 x Rainbow Shark, 5 x Tiger Barb, and 5 x Rosy Barb; the result was that the aquarium stocking level was 102% and the filtration capacity was 103%. Next weekend I am going to be visiting some pet shops that my dad knows about to see what they have and what they recommend. Thank you all for the advice and help. Once I get the tank setup I will post pictures.

Michael

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:13pm - Mar 27,13 
Michael,

Ever think about Malawi Cichlids? We have a 75 in our bedroom and they are great fish! you have to have the rock because they can also be a bit aggressive. All of these fish we 1" when they were dropped in the tank. They all eat freeze dried black worms. Let me know if you need a good source for food.

The picture came off my phone and isn't the greatest.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:34pm - Mar 27,13 
Marc, I just bought three of those cichlids for my 29 gal tank; that is why I didn't put them down because I don't want to have repeats of fish. I have also noticed that they will eat the flake food that my other fish eat. Should I feed them differently or just keep feeding them flake? Thanks

Michael

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:06pm - Mar 27,13 
If you want to grow them out give them some protein. I feed only freeze dried black worms, blood worms and brine.

You can't really tell from the crap picture but the Malawi's have a nice range in color and size. 40% water change every other week and they do great.

Aquarium Adventures in Hoffman Estates is a good place to take a stroll. Only suggestion if you go with Cichlids is stay with fish from the same region.

For what it's worth my 55 is going to get peacocks, also real good looking fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:46pm - Mar 27,13 
I just took some pictures of my Malawi's to make sure we are talking about the same fish

The gray "fuzz" infront of the log is a shinner that moved when I took the picture

There are two ciclids in this one; one is above the log, and the other is hiding below it in the lower left hand side

They are only about an inch long right now, but when they get bigger the little shinner that is in the tank could be in trouble. Thank you all for your help, I will upload more pictures of my 29 gallon when I can get all my fish in them.

Michael

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:54pm - Mar 27,13 
Two moe picture that I took tonight

This is my tank. The Rainbow Shark is entering the small log, on Malawi Cichlid is above the small log, a Rosy Barb is infront of the large log, and the shinner is the blob between the two logs.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Tanks Alot
Jump to: