Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:18am - Sep 23,12 
I have a 55 gal aquarium that was set up for live plants a year ago and looked awesome until Salmon fishing took me away from properly maintaining the planted aquarium. Since then all plants have been removed and what's left is a clean stable aquarium with gravel, driftwood, hunks of petrified wood, and a background that looks like Greek ruins. I really like the natural look but do not want to mess with live plant aquascaping anymore. It's just too expensive to set up with a proper CO2 system to make it low maintenance. To buy individual artificials will be expensive. I'm not into stuff that does not look natural, so if someone has a bunch of somewhat natural looking artificials they would like to sell send me a PM. Otherwise I will purchase from the local pet stores.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:04pm - Sep 24,12 
You can set up a planted aquarium without needing CO2 injection. I have three planted tanks without CO2 and one with it.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:20pm - Sep 24,12 
I know it's about balance between nutrients, light and CO2. It flourished and was absolutely perfect for a year with DIY CO2, and then the plants melted away without it when replenishing the CO2 every 2 weeks got to be too much to keep up with. Just don't have time and patience for trying to find the right balance without CO2 injection. Thanks!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:42am - Sep 25,12 
Turn down the lights and you'll be good. The plants may not grow as fast, but they'll still grow.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:56pm - Sep 25,12 
Herb,looks like a riverine envoirnment without plants .....I kinda like the stark look and I love the low maintainence

Even plastics breakdown after time.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:03pm - Sep 25,12 
Johnny Finn, I kinda like the stark look also, but I also like the planted look a lot. Your tanks look great with the wood and rocks, I like that look.

I need something else in there now to break it up for the Angelfish. Having plants to separate the space helps keep them a little more peaceful. Now that all the plants are gone they are constantly at each other, at least the 2 that are paired off. Before anyone comments, yes it is mating behavior and they do lay eggs regularly, but less than a week after a batch of eggs are laid they are at it again. I'm kind of use to it and it's just the way of life in there by now, but it would be nice to get a little more in there to get them to peace out a bit.

Here's what it looked like a year ago when it was at it's peak. When I kept up with the CO2 it looked awesome, the plants were perfect, and they only needed to be trimmed about once a month.

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:36am - Sep 26,12 
Johnny Finn wrote:

I was going to say the same thing. I think we usually get 5-10 years out of the plastics until they really start getting brittle and falling apart. Then again, most of these were purchased some time ago, so the quality may be better these days. Might be worth it to get a couple new ones instead of used ones for this reason, though.

As a side note, I recall reading an article somewhere (Aquarium Fish Magazine?) that talked about the ecosystem associated with established artificial plants being similar to live plants due to the algae and such growing on the plastic.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:16am - Sep 26,12 
tinyfisher wrote:
Johnny Finn wrote:

I was going to say the same thing. I think we usually get 5-10 years out of the plastics until they really start getting brittle and falling apart. Then again, most of these were purchased some time ago, so the quality may be better these days. Might be worth it to get a couple new ones instead of used ones for this reason, though.

As a side note, I recall reading an article somewhere (Aquarium Fish Magazine?) that talked about the ecosystem associated with established artificial plants being similar to live plants due to the algae and such growing on the plastic.
Didn't know that about the age, so I will buy new. Thanks for the insight.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:04am - Sep 26,12 
try silk plants from micheals. I did that a few years back and they looked pretty good. I soaked them a week before in a bucket to leech out any chemicals that would overtly hurt the fish. they do break down faster though. but they are cheep and look real.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Tanks Alot
Jump to: