Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:28am - Jul 10,16 
Last handful of trips I feel like I've been second guessing myself, casting to the wrong spots, fishing the wrong pool, whatever. Friday, made a last minute decision to get some baits and take the boat out for a short (only 3 hours) night of fishing. Got launched around 8:20 and had a night that was like a dream.

Third bait out, first one hit I got a 37" flathead that according to the digital scale was around 22 pounds. Based on measurements, that's a new personal best beating out my 34" one from a few years back. I let out a holler and cracked open my celebratory Shock Top knowing my only real goal was to (hopefully) have a multiple flathead night. Boating a big fish like that, all the pressure was off!!! I kept throwing out baits and they kept getting hit. Nearly all of the pickups were pretty aggressive taking the rod down easily. Did miss one tentative hit when I almost had a true double. Later, I got a third (or fourth) one in the boat and another rod went down and I hooked up with a nice 32" flathead with really cool markings.

My best night ever was four flatheads and when I got the fourth one in the boat and still had several baits left my confidence was soaring. I boated one more, tossed out a couple more baits and got one last pick-up. The fish gets hung up and I had to let out all my anchor rope to go into some cover and found my fish twisted up in some old braided line from someone else that got hung up in the same spot. I was able to grab and unwrap the fish and boated my SIXTH flathead in one night. Probably had about ten baits hit with something like 8 pick-ups. I had one nice one on that broke me off in the wood along the way too. Pretty damn good feeling!

I was fishing in a few feet of water around heavy cover and my live baits were bluegill/green sunfish and one creek chub. The big one hit the creek chub. In the second picture, I'm watching the second rod starting to go down when I got the double. The blood was from my sliced up fingers trying to handle the 32" one. Got me real good! All the fish were released.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:40am - Jul 10,16 
That's awesome man, congrats.

What river are you fishing?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:37am - Jul 10,16 
Those are some big cats. I always heard night fishing is really good but have never tried it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:39am - Jul 10,16 
I was on the Fox river...

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:07pm - Jul 10,16 
Nice wok. Definitely better than my year has been.

I've had alot of luck on the Fox over the last several years. Countless channels 10-20lbs. Many good flatheads with a best of 28lbs.

This year, I went out once in the spring for a few hours, bite was awesome, caught a couple channels over 10lbs in a few hours of fishing.

Then took a break because of work, crappy weather, and high river conditions. After that, not a single bite and I've been out dozens of times to all my favorite spots.

Thinking of trying night fishing to end this bad streak.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:57pm - Jul 10,16 
:allah. Congrats Shawn!!! 6 Flats in 1 night is something I've never heard of. To top it off, all caught in 3hrs!!! :respect

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:51pm - Jul 12,16 
kay wrote:
:allah. Congrats Shawn!!! 6 Flats in 1 night is something I've never heard of. To top it off, all caught in 3hrs!!! :respect

Yeah, you hear about stuff like this in the south states where these fish are fished for more heavily, but you never hear of a story like that here.

I guess that's good news for us all!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:28am - Jul 13,16 
In a boat, in the dark, hunting giant cats. Can't get more exciting than that. Nice photos of some pretty nice fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:47am - Jul 16,16 
I went into a bit more detail in the blog post about it...may never have another night like that again, in terms of numbers. I sure never did before. A night with more than two fish, or at least one over 30" is still a good night for me!

http://misadventuresincatfishing.blogsp ... heads.html

Profile WWW  

Board index » Species Specific » Catfish Corner
Jump to: