Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:32pm - May 31,16 
I'm back from beyond the grave...long story short my original screen name Shawn got deactivated and for now, I'm using this one.

Anyhow, I hit the Fox for a while on Saturday night. Guess I launched a little after 8:00. Went right to some shallower wood near about 6' of water. Had the first bait SMOKED. Reeled in an abused bluegill that was just blasted, maybe a channel cat hit. Anyhow, I re-hooked it and scored the sides fishing it dead. No action.

I also had some live bullheads and got my only takedown of the night. I was very tight to cover so instead of just reeling down I went for the conventional hookset and got a flathead catfish on solid! Got it in the boat and it measured only 31" long but with the solid weight of the fish I'd guess around 20 pounds. Nice flathead on the Fox or any river. Maybe next time I'll do a better job with the camera, was a bit too close I think!

Last edited by CatfishHunter on 03:38pm - Jun 1,16, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:53am - Jun 1,16 
That's a nice flathead, but from all the ones we've been catching recently, I'd put the weight on it at around 10-12 lbs tops. I'm going to be trying my luck at the fox this weekend. Tight lines brother

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:52am - Jun 1,16 
I did lift it into the boat and measure it, maybe I over-estimated at 20. I'm thinking at least 15 though. It's a 31" fish. If I was standing holding it out front it would appear a lot larger, seems like that's the de-facto pose these days. Fwiw, I thought you might have underestimated the weight on a couple of your catfish!

I arrived at that using the LxGxG/800 formula for flathead weights, I know other weight calculators have similar outcomes. Just ordered a digital scale off Amazon, been wanting one for a long time they're finally back in stock!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:55am - Jun 1,16 
Wow, check out the difference in the estimates of these two weight charts! The second one for a 31x20 (very safe estimate on my fish) shows 19 the first one only 13.27. Wow, that's a variance of like 50%.

http://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/fishing/spec ... ight-chart

http://www.csgnetwork.com/fishfreshwtcalc.html

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:02pm - Jun 1,16 
I didn't estimate the weight of any of mine, they are all weighed three times on a digital scale for accuracy. I weight them as such as a game against myself to beat my own records. As you said though, its hard to determine a weight solely on a photo, so I could be wrong. Just a heads up though, at 20 pounds, if you look at my thread "My first Monster", it was exactly, 20lb 3oz. I didn't hold it out either, it would have been too hard to hold out like that with it's weight and it flopping around.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:26am - Jun 2,16 
I've never measured the girth, just the length and weight. From experience, 29"/30" are around 10-12lbs, a 31" was between 12-15lbs. 35" are in the 17-19lb area. Numerous 37" were weighed in the 22lb range. I've caught one slightly over 42" and that bottomed out my 30lb scale. That 30lb scale was a cheapy one though...it could of been less or more. It was also caught in July, so it's still a mystery to me of what the actual weight was. Although i've seen a 42" weigh in, iirc at either 25 or 27lb. It's tough to guesstimate especially if the bodies of water differ and time of year.

Shawn - I should get a copy of our data collection. I always sent Marty more info than he needed. He has some length to weight ratio from my end.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:29pm - Jun 2,16 
Nice flathead....Everyone has a different opinion on weight however. My 3 lb bass turned into 1 lbers to 4 lbers on the cheap fish scale that I bought. I just worry about the length now. Some length and girth measurements could be useful for the bpro fish weight calculator.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:02pm - Jun 2,16 
Bigger than any cat I've ever caught. Well done sir.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:18pm - Jun 3,16 
Well Heck looks like all the FVF guys just showed up :winker

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:50pm - Jun 3,16 
:helloooooo

Board index » Species Specific » Catfish Corner
Jump to: