Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:50pm - Mar 15,15 
What kind of setups does everyone use for catfish? bait? line? lbs? sinkers?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:48pm - Mar 15,15 
Sonny's Dip, Junnies Wicked Sticky, white bass guts, 15lb test, egg sinkers, circle hooks and dip worms.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:49pm - Mar 15,15 
Carolina rig and 3 way rig. 30lb braid, 2 and 3oz weights egg sinkers for Carolina bell for 3 way. Fresh cut bait.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:44pm - Mar 15,15 
pmoney1323 wrote:
Carolina rig and 3 way rig. 30lb braid, 2 and 3oz weights egg sinkers for Carolina bell for 3 way. Fresh cut bait.

What kind of fresh cut bait?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:08pm - Mar 15,15 
Mostly shad and bluegill< ive seen guys using carp and they do good too specially asian carp. I fish LaSalle alot and use my cast net to get shad Bigger ones work better than small. I use circle hooks on all my rods too.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:48pm - Mar 15,15 
pmoney1323 wrote:
Mostly shad and bluegill< ive seen guys using carp and they do good too specially asian carp. I fish LaSalle alot and use my cast net to get shad Bigger ones work better than small. I use circle hooks on all my rods too.

thanks for posting!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:57pm - Mar 15,15 
I mainly fish Kankakee river and use St. Croix Mojo Musky Rods in the Heavy / fast and 8 1/2 foot with Shimano Symetre 2500ri reels and vicious fishing 25# copolymer line. I drift slip bobbers or use a Kentucky rig with circle hooks. I use cut bait in the early to mid season and add dip baits from June until October when bow season starts.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:11pm - Mar 15,15 
I like an 8ft E Glass medium spinning rod, paired with a size "4" reel, (something that will hold about 180+yds of 15lb mono line. Octopus hooks in sizes 4 to 8, Kahle hooks size 6 to 9. 1 and 2oz sliding flat sinkers. I rig this setup Carolina style. I also fish with bobbers when I need to. I carry a light spinning rig to catch bait at the location I will be fishing for Cats. Cutbait is hooked on in 1 to 2 inch chunks, tails are disposed of all the rest of the fish is used. I mainly fish the Fox and a few lakes in my area for Cats. Currents are usually slow so the weight I use is not a big issue. Bobber fishing is a lot of fun, and Cats can hit it hard and run like crazy.

Heavy tackle is OK if your going after Big Blues or Flatheads. Medium tackle is good for Channel Cats. Enjoy!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:52pm - Mar 15,15 
thanks for all the posts

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:35am - Mar 16,15 
Carolina rig with Baitrunner/ Baitfeeder type reels. This allows the cat to run a bit with out resistance before you set the hook.I 'll never go back to conventional reels for cattin'..

GS

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:20am - Mar 16,15 
A few things depending on where and what I'm after. I generally like the no roll sinkers where there's much current/cover, otherwise I'll use egg or no roll. I generally don't include a swivel, I'll just put a large split-shot several inches above the hook (or sometimes none).

All around catfishing I'm happy to use some 15-20# mono like Big Game. J hooks, usually eagle claw wide gap or Gamakatsu octopus. size depends on bait. Like if it's dip worm for channel cat, then I might use a 1/0 or 2/0 j hook in there. Weight depending on current... 1/2 oz in no current to maybe 1 1/2 oz in med.

Flathead catfish, I'm using 25-30# mono or preferably 80# power pro (which is the same diameter as 20# mono). For live bluegill or sunfish I use 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus J hooks are my favorite hands down. w the turned up eye. I'll use some wide gap hooks too, I think it's like eagle claw L042. Thing is the sizes don't run as big. For bluegills and that, I like 4/0 or more often 7/0-8/0. usually 2 or 3 oz no roll sinkers.

I have some different graphite, composite, and fiberglass rods. Shakespeare Tiger Lite, Offshore Angler, Abu Garcia, Shimano. All 7'-8' most are one piece. For flathead, medium heavy to heavy. for channel cats, medium to medium heavy. I have a Cabela's Salt Striker baitfeeder spinning, an old Quantum Iron spinning, and a Shakespeare baitcaster. might grab another baitcaster soon.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:21am - Mar 17,15 
thanks for sharing

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:55am - Mar 17,15 
For what it is worth on the bait end.

When I first started targeting cats I did so with stink baits and liver. I had decent but not great results.

When I started fishing for carp with corn that had been sweetly flavored (vanilla, pinneapple, etc) I started catching more cat fish in bycatch then I did when I targeted them.

For shore fishing gear I perfer long salmon or carp rods to the short stout catfish rods but that personal preference I guess. Baitrunner reels come in very handy, the daiaw regal bri is a pretty decent reel for under $40.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:44am - Mar 18,15 
Shawn I couldn't agree more with the no roll sinkers. robgutie I never tried corn for cats but may try this year. To anyone near Momence I found that during the heat of summer right behind the candy factory in momence is a great spot for channel cats on sonny's dip bait.

Board index » Species Specific » Catfish Corner
Jump to: