Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:20pm - Jan 30,15 
I have had fun fishing channel catfish with my biggest being 4 lbs. I was wondering where I should start fishing for flathead in illinois. I have heard stories about huge monster flathead in the kankakee river, but it is a longer drive from lisle/naperville area.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:42pm - Jan 30,15 
try powerton,near peoria.guy caught a 63lber there.i was fishing 30 yards away.quite a beast

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:58pm - Jan 30,15 
Fox River probably holds the best population around here. They are a tough fish to target tho. Large live baits around log jams are your best bet.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:58pm - Jan 30,15 
Thanks guys! I was going to try fox fishing at montgomery dam.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:58pm - Jan 30,15 
@Bobba Down
@the hersh

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:33pm - Jan 30,15 
Just FYI new for the Fox river
Fox River, Algonquin Dam State of Illinois Multiple Counties Flathead Catfish . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Protected Length Limit; 3 Fish Creel
to confluence with the Limit with 1 Fish over 28˝ and 2 Fish
Illinois River, including >13˝ and <28˝
tributaries

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:06am - Jan 31,15 
used to fish the rock at the rock falls sterling dam, huge flats in the summer. live baits a must for the bigguns, we would use baits as big as we could get, 7-8" gills 8-10" shad live 5/0 or 6/0 circle hooks landed a 42# was spooled also by another, need pretty heavy gear for those bigguns. local bait shop had pics of fish over 75#

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:27am - Jan 31,15 
Thanks for the responses, but i figured that the answer would be a place far away and the fox being a hard place to target flathead.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:58am - Jan 31,15 
the cooling lakes have big blue cats and lots of guys target them.25lbs is not rare .you can troll for them with cranks or drift shad

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:47pm - Jan 31,15 
CATMAN wrote:
Just FYI new for the Fox river
Fox River, Algonquin Dam State of Illinois Multiple Counties Flathead Catfish . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Protected Length Limit; 3 Fish Creel
to confluence with the Limit with 1 Fish over 28˝ and 2 Fish
Illinois River, including >13˝ and <28˝
tributaries

I catch and release any catfish but channels in local ponds. I am a shore angler. Where should I start? Is montgomery dam good?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:29pm - Jan 31,15 
Rock River 2 years ago on a bank pole caught a 61 pounder... Next morning caught a 45 pounder.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:05pm - Jan 31,15 
They are in pretty much every river in Illinois, early May is a good time for them. Its tough to get them from shore, a small boat would be better so you can position yourself to put your bait in the places they live, like logjams. Fresh live bait is the best they love vibration it seems. Got a 20lb on a ultra light setup with 6lb test throwing a blue fox up in rocks for smallies, they are a top predator in the systems they live.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:43pm - Jan 31,15 
Braidwood has some pretty nice sized flatheads. I am not sure if they were planted in there, or what the story is, but when I get them, they are all nice sized. We have gotten them in the 20-40lb range and I know guys have gotten 50lb + plus fish while bass fishing. I get them all on bluegill I catch there and dead baits work fine.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:02am - Feb 1,15 
Try the Kishawaukee River

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:20am - Feb 1,15 
Thank you for the replies! Ill try to fish 3 of these places this year as I also target carp, channels, trout, and walleye frequently.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:02am - Feb 1,15 
If you ever feel like driving, powerton got some huge flats.Met a guy that got a 70 pounder. If you Google powerton flathead you'll see it. Lasalle has been good for my dad and I from shore biggest blue around 35-40 lbs for us.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:23pm - Mar 3,15 
The Fox River just below the South Elgin Dam has historically held some pretty big Flatheads. Generally good all around fishing there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:18pm - Mar 5,15 
Really, there's a lot of good flathead water in Illinois. Depends on where you're located and how far you want to drive.

I'm in the NW suburbs, so my go-to area would be about anyplace on the Fox. Closest body of water with a targetable population of flathead. It is a large body of water and having a boat helps tremendously. But I have gotten some flatheads off the bank too, although I've generally done a lot better fishing channel cats from shore than flatheads.

There's a lot of dams along the Fox (and the Rock too). You can shore fish at a most of them... Algonquin, Carpentersville, S. Elgin, St Charles. Same with Oregon, Rock Falls, etc. on the Rock. You mentioned Montgomery, I've heard of people doing well there. St. Charles is more of a wading deal, not bad in the middle of the summer when the water is low and it's hot out.

I guess I've heard of some of the forest preserve lakes having some nice sized cats in there too, Blackwell and Mallard Lake come to mind. I've really only flathead fished in rivers, even when I lived in central IL...we fished Shelbyville lake for crappies and all that and went downstream of the lake for catfishing.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:49pm - Mar 5,15 
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=61933

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26pm - Mar 5,15 
Head for the Dams early in the season if you can. By the time summer rolls around it will be crowded. I meet more people from Chitown in McHenry and Algonquin than locals fishing. I'm trying to get out as soon as Ice breaks on the Fox myself. Best of luck.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Species Specific » Catfish Corner
Jump to: