Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:13pm - Aug 13,14 
I've been hooked into catfishing and I'm messing around with different baits such as crawlers, bread, and chicken livers. Really like the idea of using some chicken liver and putting it in bait sacs like the spawn sacs you can buy, just so when I cast the livers stop flying off in the distance :cuss As well as keep the bait on a little bit longer. I've bought a container of liver and I heard garlic is a good thing to season them with due to the scent so I poured some in there and have it sitting in our fridge. Just curious if anyone's got some good recipes they don't mind sharing or some tips to making good bait!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:19pm - Aug 13,14 
If you put the hook through the white(tissue or fat?) part of the liver, not only will it not come off on a cast, but it will be hard to remove when you want to. Also, the thin nylon socks that they have at shoe stores for trying on shoes work well as a sac for the liver.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:40pm - Aug 13,14 
I second the panty hose. Chunks of Johnsonville Brats are supposed to be good as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:36pm - Aug 14,14 
Yep the brats work great especially the ones that are cheddar filled. You need the skin to keep it firmly on the hook. Caught channel's to 11pds on this

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:40pm - Aug 14,14 
I usually just use plain chicken liver with no seasoning and do well. And I also try hooking through the white tissue. I would bet if you let it sit out in the sun for a couple of days it will work even better....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:39pm - Aug 14,14 
When i went for cats with chicken liver I took a treble hook, pushed it through the middle of the liver so to points would be near the edges and used a snap swivel to attach the treble to the line. Won't come off during a cast, but easy to remove at the end of the day

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:17am - Aug 15,14 
Shorewood Angler wrote:
Yep the brats work great especially the ones that are cheddar filled. You need the skin to keep it firmly on the hook. Caught channel's to 11pds on this

No way I'm giving up a brat!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:41am - Aug 15,14 
Hot dogs, the cheaper the better.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:49pm - Aug 15,14 
Panty hose are a cheaper option and I think they work even better. I just cut the legs into stips so it make and inch and a half tube, stick the liver inside, stetch and hook each of the tag ends on the hook. That will definitely keep. The "trial socks" work the sameway and you could pick some up for free.

I have mostly moved to corn for my catfishing because its super convinient and has been producing well. My wife is a lot happier when I come home smelling like corn (which is usually flavored with vanilla or pinneapple) instead of liver. One thing you could try is making the panty hose packets and then dipping the whole packet (right before casting) into some fish oil. When the bait lands it will let off an oil trail.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:45pm - Aug 15,14 
I've been preaching hotdogs. Made with beef, chicken, and pork. Jumbo franks in the
one pound pack so you know it will sink. Catches every size cat, carp, and big bass on
occasion. In fact, everything in the water will make those hotdogs disappear.

Corn is a good bait for catfish when the water is still cold and "smell" baits aren't
attracting them yet.

Chicken liver is awesome for attracting every fly within 50 yards, and rats after dark.
Don't kid yourself, there's rats everywhere.

How about soaking hotdog chunks in the chicken liver "soup". Might work, haven't
tried it, but sounds interesting. Definitely cleaner.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:49pm - Mar 23,15 
I'm surprised no one has said this yet but......elastic thread! Bait you liver and then wrap it a few times with elastic thread and pull tight to snap it off...Holds like a champ! I found a roll at micheals when I was with my wife for under $5.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:18pm - Mar 23,15 
illinoisbambam wrote:
I'm surprised no one has said this yet but......elastic thread! Bait you liver and then wrap it a few times with elastic thread and pull tight to snap it off...Holds like a champ! I found a roll at micheals when I was with my wife for under $5.

You can buy thread for spawn sacks (Magic thread).

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:20pm - Mar 23,15 
i also use elastic thread ( magic thread) fishing connection in tinley park carries. another option is tube gauze size #1 its about 3/4" diameter. cut tube into 2 lengths, tie off 1 end with any type thread or string, kite string works for me, turn inside out, stuff with liver and thread on hook to close open end. the gauze has bigger holes that the liver oozes out of, but stays in pouch. best place to get gauze is on amazon.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:03pm - Mar 23,15 
I have always used my wifes pantyhose. That stuff is tough and can catch more than 1 fish most of the time without having to re-bait. Half a Hot Dog is good. I thread the line through the "dog" burying the hook in the center of the dog and exposing the point on top of the dog. Catfish really don't care about hooks that much when they mouth a bait. I have tried a bit of garlic with the hot dogs but I don't know if it worked any better than plain, besides with plain dogs if you get hungry...... always carry mustard.

I have unsucsessfully tried plain string, cheesecloth, and gauze. I'll stick with pantyhose.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:18am - Mar 24,15 
I use dry dog food in the spawn sack material and magic thread. The dog food dissolves slowly and stays on a long time. Also you can make them up sitting in front of the boob tube with NO stink NO mess NO fuss.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:57pm - Mar 26,15 
can't stand chicken liver.

I'd go with cut bait, dip bait, cheese bait, nightcrawlers. In summer, there's a few guys that swear by raw hamburger (cheap and greasy).

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26pm - Mar 26,15 
I dont use liver as much as I use to, the nylon trick will work. someone mention waiting for warmer weather for stinkbaits/dip bait. If you wait your too late. I will start the season with cut bait and dip bait. This weekend :winker

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:05pm - Mar 27,15 
I'd use Hot Dogs before Liver any day. Liver gets messy. As Catman said "cut bait" is the thing. Besides, that lets you fish for your bait if you don't have any to begin with. In the past, I always carried a light rig to catch bait or panfish. My uncles taught me that when we fished the Little Bay De Noc for Saturday dinner. Always Perch and Walleye with the occational Pike or Bass. They first taught me to fish with a hand line off the side of the 12ft aluminum boat they had. We kept a washtub in the center of the boat as our livewell. At times we would catch so many fish Grandma would invite the neighborhood to come over for dinner. Scalling and cleaning 80+ fish was a chore when I was 8 years old. But the fish were worth it.

Board index » Species Specific » Catfish Corner
Jump to: