Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:42pm - Apr 22,14 
I am also a bowhunter and while cleaning a doe had a thought.....removed bladder and heart and liver and cut liver and heart into 1" chunks and vacuum packed them and froze as future cat bait then put remaining gut pile in 5 gallon bucket with blood and used a food processor to liquifey this mess and froze it in peanut butter jars. I took out 2 jars yesterday and added 1/2 can of cheddar cheese whiz and flour and natural cotton to make a thick sticky dip bait. 1 of them I froze again and the other is ripening in my basement. I also have about 5 pounds of ground meat that will become bait. One of my best baits last year was chicken thighs cut into chunks and mixed/coated with sonnys dip bait and left to ripen for 2 days before using. I'm a mechanic and had an older guy tell me that nightcrawlers dipped in used motor oil was the best bait for cats? :? :shock I prefer not to put oil in the water myself.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:18pm - Apr 22,14 
Sounds like a good idea! I've never been a big fan of dip baits or chicken liver but hey, I might not know what I'm missing. I usually lean toward a fresh piece of bluegill for my channel cats. Never had a bad night with that! The only problem I've had is getting my bait to stay out of the weeds in the summer months. I'm talking too when your wanting to sit it in one place. I am going to try some more fishing using floats to keep it up but I'm still at a loss on how to keep it up without a Float. Let me know how your bait goes though! Might have to try that myself if you get some good results!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:38pm - Apr 22,14 
Dip baits and the like, chicken liver, cooked hamburger, lunchmeat, (seen that a lot) etc. foul the water (ponds,lakes) and should only be
used on rivers. On many, many occasions dip bait killed the bite when using other baits for cats. Here's a tip. Bar S hotdogs, cheap as can
be, kills the cats. I don't know how many hundreds I've caught since I started using them exclusively. They are fairly clean in the water and
everything eats them from bluegills to bass to crayfish. Nothing left to see. Try it first, I thought it was stupid the first time I heard about it.
I just bought my first 2014 pack of them today, waiting for warm water and catfish time.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:19pm - Apr 22,14 
Dip baits rock, your missing the boat, if your not using them, cut bait rocks, both gills and shad, different times different baits,

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:35pm - Apr 22,14 
I heard the dip bait can create from chicken liver which wall mart or other mart sell like 2~3 dollars and few cut piece of pork (lowest part body would really cheap) and sardine selling from wall mart too. This cost less then 10 dollars. how to make is chicken liver and sardine put into blender and put cut pork into mixture and save it into refrigerator 1~2 days. size of the piece pork depend on size of fish. Good luck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:12pm - Apr 30,14 
Uglystick seen your in the S W Suburbs....close to Steger? Always looking for a kayak / fishing partner.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:31pm - Apr 30,14 
I'm in Oak Lawn. I don't recall where Steger is. Maybe we can meet up and I can show you my "secret" technique. PM me.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:28pm - Apr 30,14 
Sounds disgustingly awesome ! Lol. I don't use dip baits, but I don't doubt their effectiveness. Good luck with your concoction !!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:42pm - May 1,14 
I cannot submit my fishing gear to anything to do with dip bait. I fish for multi species and not just cats.
I've tried cut baits many times and can't get a good hook set. I don't use circle hooks because they hook
smaller cats in the eye. You guys have any tips for cut bait set ups?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:07pm - May 1,14 
i use 1 cubic inch pieces of shad or hotdog on a hook or jig ( i personally like chartreuse or yellow/orange ) and put the bait on covering the whole shank. i usually only fish warm water discharges for cats but i do the same technique as in perch fishing, droping the bait straight down and raising it a few inches of the bottom and watch for bites, you could probably use the same technique from a pond instead of a wall like i do. i usually catch a fish within a minute at the discharge when its shooting warm. and if you are trying to keep your bait of the bottom with out a bobber you can use a floating jig and take a two ounce wieght and tie it a few feet of from the jig, this allows the jig to go up as far as it can untill its stopped by the wieght

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:15pm - May 27,14 
Ugly, i just had a great Saturday morning catching 12+ channels up to 4 pounders with cut bluegil. I know of the hookset prob you mentioned.

Ever since a buddy introduced me to the "Baitrunner/ baitfeeder" style reels for catting, i will never go back. i bought an in-expensive Okuma Avenger on sale for around $40 and it is great. Carolina rig is a must with the baitfeeder, so the cat doesnt feel any resistance while picking up the easy meal and attempts to eat.

I hook the cut in just 1 corner. Once the reel starts, i wait 5 seconds and set.

I wish i had pics as i left my phone in the car but they were active and hungry. A ton of fun.

GS

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:29am - May 28,14 
+1 on the baitfeeder.

I usually use cut bait for these cats at LaSalle Lake with a circle hook hooked on one corner of a 1"x1" (or sometimes 2"x2") piece of bait, weighed down by a 2oz. slide sinker just about a foot and a half above the monofilament leader (i use a 30lb braid on these guys). I bought an okuma avenger abf40 last year. I love it so much I bought a second unit just a month after the first one. this reel is smooth and can handle the big blues. I hooked into one this past memorial day weekend (i don't know how much it weighed but it was 32" long... and fat!!!) and pulled that thing in without a problem. I was about 10 yards away from my setup when I heard it peeling some line off. NO WORRIES about losing your rod and reel from a big hit like that as long as the lever is disengaged.

'thinking of getting a smaller model (maybe abf30) for smaller fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:31am - May 28,14 
32" blue was released to fight another day by the way.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:59pm - Jun 4,14 
The dip bait that was left out to get ripe works great on the Kankakee river with 7 cats between 3-5 pounds and one about 9 pounds last night between 6pm and 10pm in Momence but they didn't seem interested in the refrigerated dip bait and only 3 on the deer liver about 2-3 pounds each now to tweek the bait a little and see results. I have about 20 hunters between friends and family and am kind of thinking of trying to mass produce and sell this. I am also friends with a wild game processor who is willing to save me the desired parts I need. Am I going too far with this thought? Not looking to get rich.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:02pm - Jun 4,14 
I did really good using white bass guts for channel cats.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:36am - Jun 29,14 
Anyone try onions? I have and was very surprised they worked great. Cut them up so you have long fat strips.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:05pm - Nov 2,14 
Wow boys this forum ( catfish corner) is awsome. A lot of comment about what bait to use and what not. Surprize read about new and differant reels. Love going for Mr. cat. lol However i have not done to well this year, could be location and that what im asking about. Is there any good location for cats. Ive tryed braidwood -good but far. what about Lasalle Lake? please any suggestion. Cat fish Fever

Board index » Species Specific » Catfish Corner
Jump to: