Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:26am - Jul 14,12 
Hey guys,

So I have had an urge to catch myself some big kitties for the past few weeks and I've been doing well on channels at some of the local ponds but I want to step up my game and move to some rivers. The only problem is that I have NO idea where to start in terms of location or bait presentation. I choose the Kankakee to be my first place to try for some cats. I also looked at the Fox river but it is a much longer drive then the Kank. I think I have an idea of what to use as bait from reading some of the posts on this site but my only problem is that I have no idea where I can fish at night without having to worry about the police/property owners getting angry at me for being there or how to present the bait in the river to entice the cats. I'm not asking for anyones personal spots or honey holes but I was wondering if anyone knows any public or state parks/land that I can start out trying some night fishing at? I thought a place like that would be a good place to start but if anyone has any tips on where a beginner should go and try to learn the ropes would be awesome!

Thanks for any info you can give a beginner!
-Matt

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:15pm - Jul 23,12 
You might scout some areas during the day. Stop and go talk to land owners if you see a likely spot. All they can say is no.
I don't know the area well but local bait shops may have the info you seek. PM Creekyknees and introduce yourself. He knows that river like the back of his hand. Keep an eye here too. Lot's of good folks to help you here.

VIETNAM VETERAN U.S.A.F. 66-67

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:37pm - Mar 29,14 
I know this post is a little old but.....I go on east river south road in Momence myself. Google Momence on maps and on the south west side of the river. Go south of the bridge on route 1 to route 17 and turn right (gas station and burger king on corner) go to first right which is east river south road follow it and you will find MANY spots on the right side to park. Watch for private property signs but it will be obvious as those that have signs also have docks, landscaping, etc. I have fished this area for years with no problems day and night and have fished from the boat launch up stream from the bridge in Momence to the area I am telling you and then some. If you know where the walk over bridge is by the candy factory go behind the candy factory and I cast upstream with chicken livers about 2 foot below a small float and let it drift down stream. The candy factory area has produced great for me. Also if you know where the police station is go straight across route 1 to the 1st building on the right you will see a parking lot here and I park in here and fish the river here with tight lines and Sonny's or cut shad. If you ever see a bald white guy with glasses and too much fishing stuff (says my wife) It's probably me, Come say hi. Good luck. By the way I only shore fish myself as I have no boat.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:05pm - Mar 29,14 
Hey BamBam! Thanks for the info! really appreciate it since last summer I didn't really spend much time chasing cats and would like to do more this summer! Some great info you posted here! I will definitely check the area out this summer! I'll definitely say hi if i see you when i'm down there! I'm hoping to get a shirt from here so maybe you'll spot me by that! Thanks man! Hope to see you out there!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:39am - Mar 30,14 
The Wilmington Island park is open until 10 PM the last time I was there. Here's something
I learned about the catfish. On the broken dam side there are weed beds that develop on the
peninsula that points at the railroad trestle. After dark the catfish will move under the weed
beds. You can actually hear them inhaling any food items they come across. Drop your bait
into the beds and hang on tight. A lot of 5 pounders only 5 feet or so from shore.

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Post Posted: 08:19am - Mar 30,14 
That's a good point Uglystick. It's common to hear stories about bank fisherman reeling in their line and dropping their bait right next to shore to keep it alive while they take a nap, only to wake up to their line heading for the main river channel. Fish (all predators) come shallow at night to eat, so keep that in mind.

Board index » Species Specific » Catfish Corner
Jump to: