Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:36pm - Feb 20,04 
Tim when do you start hitting the Il. for those pre-spawn Cats???? Is there a different pattern for prespawn as I didnt get started last year till post spawn and am very anxious to launch my boat and bend that pole in half!!!!! :lol: Also any tips on catching the ait or are they still pretty much in same spots?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:13pm - Feb 20,04 
Robert,
Good question.

Each year is quite different but the prespawn kicks off with the first actual good flood of water we get. Well it really doesnt take that to get started with a crawl. Ice out signals the initial period when cats begin to come out of the slower metabolism. The amount of daylight kicks it off even with lack of new water in the river. BUT if you get water around that time all the better. Lets talk about if the water is fairly low still and hasnt moved the cats out of their wintering areas.

I used to fish really early every year and thought that I was going too early and the cats werent active yet. I found out later that they were indeed active, it was that I was fishing summer/spring areas for them.

The real early season is basically still a winter pattern only the cats move around alot more but they dont go far unless there is high water to get them going up river.

The only difference ive noticed in this period is that if you hit it right and they havent moved yet you can absolutely slam the cats! Ive had 150 catfish days when I hit it just right like that. The neat thing is that it can be great guns for a few days then Bam theyre gone. Just like that. There one day gone the next. When that happens, you know you have witnessed the first movement of the year.

Then is a small bit of a slow period. A few days where the cats arent really in a pattern at all. Some are here and some are there. A few locate on structure such as ledges and a few set up on cover such as submerged rocks and wood.

A few days later if the water keeps warming will force them to the fast water areas and the heavier current. If the water cools again they reverse themselves back towards the same ole wintering areas (kind of)

They will move towards it but not really be back to the stacked up point. A few will be in there but alot of them will still be dispersed and difficult to target. The only sure-fire pattern is to target the few cats that are still on the cover in the predictable areas. You might not catch very many but you can bet they will be big. It seems that the biggest fish hold the prime areas first. Nobody knows why theyn do but they do. Some tribs gather cats before others year after year. The Fox starts slow and the bulk of the populations are up there weeks after a few other rivers such as the Mackinaw. Same type of river but different cover I spose.

Ok now we are at the winter/spring transition which is very short. Way shorter than fall/winter transition. Winter/spring transition is so short I dont really count it as a timely period of catfish behavior but I know it exists if even for only a few days or weeks.

I like spring to come with a long long period of high water. Stable high water to be precise. The longer the water stays high, the more cats press into shallow areas with the best current and cover. The other thing that happens is the longer the water stays high, the farther cats will travel and stack up. The biggest cats hold the best areas and then the little cats have to vacate.

There you have it Big cats taking up the prime areas and eliminating the smaller cats for you! When this happens this way, I can target cats from 7 to 15 pounds and catch numbers of them. In the right scenario, having the best ten channel cats weigh in at over 100 up to 130 pounds can happen and does on occasion. 50 to 100 fish days can also happen.

Good Fishin,
Tim

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:36am - Feb 21,04 
Quote:
I like spring to come with a long long period of high water. Stable high water to be precise.

Sometimes high water can make for fun rides in the Jet boat.
Robert
Notice the water over the motor cowl.

So Tim, with all this playtime, I can expect something in the mail in the near future. :wink:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:14am - Feb 21,04 
Yes you can... I have 2 articles and some artwork and its on to the powerpoint!

I like that pic... it takes me there when I see it... I can hear the water rushing past.

Good Fishin,
Tim

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:34am - Feb 21,04 
Tim
Looking forward to viewing what you put together.
Don't forget to leave some days open or if you need a fill in.
Looks like I may have to talk to Robert to see if he is interested as Cory :whip will be shy of permission slips this year.
Ya know, new job, new wife....... :whip

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:05am - Feb 21,04 
I can hear the *SNAP* of that whip oooowwch! :cry:

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:48am - Feb 21,04 
I didnt waste any time as I have already reserved 2 days out with Tim this year! After the day out last year I plan on making a day with Tim a every year event! Hopefully no bunnies this year though! :shock:

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:26pm - Feb 21,04 
Man! A guy can really hit you hard can't he? Hits me when I am down! :shock:

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:58am - Feb 22,04 
Mike I am always ready for a day out in search of cats! I was just reading Tims article on locating cats great reading and full of info! Tim has taken me out and proved these techniques time and time again( I even lost $20 when I doubted him :lol: ) Heres a link to the article!
http://www.chitownangler.com/1coho/Active%20Channel%20Cat%20Locations.html
Its from last year but a great way to "freshen" up on the tactics and if you can master his techniques I garuntee you are in for a full day of pole bent in half action!!!!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:39pm - Feb 22,04 
Robert,
I'll give you a chance to win it back this year. If you can catch the first fish from your first cast, I'll give your 20 back to ya :D It might sound diffucult to do but it's almost a given... that is IF you can hook the fish. :wink:

Good Fishing,
Tim

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:01pm - Feb 22,04 
give...give...give...give...give...give...give..... HOOK SET!!!!!!! :lol: :wink:
tap....tap.,..tap...Tap...Tap...Tap...Tap...Tap... FISH ON!!!!!!!!! :lol: :wink:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:10pm - Apr 26,18 
Very informative FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:07pm - Apr 28,18 
Welcome to the forum, ReelFish!

Profile WWW  

Board index » Species Specific » Catfish Corner
Jump to: