Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:51pm - May 17,09 
I got up to the family cabin in Silver Lake last night for some catfishin and got into them good. It started out pretty slow for the first hour until the sun went below the horizon, then they turned on like crazy. My best bait was cut bait. I caught the biggest cat i've ever caught up there last night at 13 pounds. The overall catch ended up with 11 cats at 13, 8, 8, 7, 5,j 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2 pounders. That was one of the best nights i've ever had up there! I had a blast.

Here is the big boy and a 7 pounder I caught right before the big one hit.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:35pm - May 18,09 
nice catch bro.... you caught all of these fish using cut bluegills?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:58am - May 19,09 
were you using shad or bluegills. If so what is your cutbait technique. Usually i just cut the midsection into strips and maybe use the head sometimes

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:23pm - May 21,09 
Yea the bluegills were working that night, normally i'll catch some minnows and cut them in half but i couldn't catch any that night so i went to the backup bluegills.

I normally cut behind the head and cut it off the fish, then cut the dorsal fin off cause I want the only sharp thing the catfish to feel in his mouth is the hook. :D Then i just hook it right through the skin to keep it on the hook. Most of the time I use a three-way rig with a decent sized hook (depends on the bite) and a led weight depending on the current situation.

I'm gonna give it another try tomorrow night and most likely saturday and sunday nights also. I'll try my best to get a report up on sunday if i get a chance

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:56pm - May 21,09 
The three way rig you're referring to is with a 2 or 3 oz weight and then one to the main line and one to a leader with the hook, correct?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:14pm - May 22,09 
The main line goes to a three way swivel and from that a 12" leader to the weight and on the other eyelet about an 18" leader to the hook, I normally use heavier line on the hook leader than the sinker leader also

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:33pm - May 22,09 
Thanks for the info bro... let us know how that works out.. Has anyone tried bluff lake at all? I keep hearing about the success there?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:46pm - May 24,09 
Got up to the cabin on friday night and got into them again. This time the drum were hitting early. so until the sun went down we caught a few drum just for a little fun.

But once again after the sun went down the fish turned on and the bells started ringing! We ended the night around 3am after catching 30 cats. Big fish of the night was an 11 pounder caught by my sister early. My big fish was a 10 pounder but between the two of us we got 7 or 8 fish that were 8 pounds and heavier, the rest were mostly 2-4 pounders with an occasional 5er thrown in. Again the cut bait was key. One thing I had forgotten to mention in the previous post was the chum technique we've been using, catch or find a dead carp that is a bit stinky and cut it open and let the smelly goodness bring the cats in. I've never caught as many big fish as we have in the last two weeks using this technique before.

This was a high point of the night though, I was fighting one fish when the other rod right next to me doubles over with another fish, and me being greedy :) I decided to try and get them both and was able to do it! haha

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:13pm - May 28,09 
nice

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:25am - May 29,09 
I'm jealous!! I've been working all year for a catfish in the double digits. I have yet to catch one over 6 pounds. In my entire life I have yet to exceed that 6 pound mark. I'm really trying to hit it hard this year. I'm hitting the Kankakee tomorrow and I'm gonna give them some BIG chucks of liver. I chummed the shore 2 days ago with a ton of chicken liver i had left over. Hopefully they will stick around for feeding time tomorrow. I huge flathead is what I'm aiming for. Wish me luck

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:55pm - May 29,09 
I've only ever caught 1 flathead and it hit on a bluegill head a couple years ago but everyone else i've ever talked to use live bluegills for flatheads. Even on the fox I've put some small bluegills on a bottom rig and tried for flatheads but all I get is channel cats eating them up. But anyway goodluck with the big guy!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:09pm - May 31,09 
bass1388 wrote:
I've only ever caught 1 flathead and it hit on a bluegill head a couple years ago but everyone else i've ever talked to use live bluegills for flatheads.

I've pulled several flats out of the chain system on both live and cut gills. I am normally fishing some sort of structure. I have actually found the head to be my best go to bait for catfishing in general.

As far as your quest for a cat over 6 or in the double digits you need to fish water that has fish of that size and get away from the liver. I know this has been talked about on here several times. For me I will sometime rig a rod with liver to pass the time away while I'm waiting for live and cut baits to get hit.

Stephen Wright

Board index » Species Specific » Catfish Corner
Jump to: