Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:24am - Apr 3,08 
Ok, I have fished for cats for years and keep changing my bait to try and get something that kills them. Well started with nightcrawlers years ago, then changed to minnows, which really work decent in the rivers and lakes I have fished, and the past two years I got some of that stink bait...can remember the name but it comes in a jar and looks like paenut butter and is sticky as can be, and man does it smell. I also have used chicken livers, but never did well with them. What does is everyone favorite bait for channel cats?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:31am - Apr 3,08 
what ever rough/bait fish you can pull out of the same water you are fishing has to be my go to bait.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:34am - Apr 3,08 
You are prolly thinking of Sonnys' Super Sticky stink bait. I used to use it a lot with plenty of success. Nowadays I usually stick to livers fresh from the supermarket. I have yet to do any good with the frozen ones.

"Like minnows in a bucket..."

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:26am - Apr 3,08 
When I first started catfishing in my favorite cat river it was Sonny's stink bait, almost exclusively. But as the years have gone by and I've had the ability to get out on the water both earlier and later each season (instead of just the hot summer months) I have come to determine that crawlers seem to do the trick more reliably most times of the year, especially when the water is a bit colder. No question that in the dead heat of summer you can catch channel cats on any number of stink baits hand over fist, but I've also noticed they tend to be the smaller variety. It's gotten to the point where last season I don't think I even purchased a jar of the stuff, and as long as I had a dozen crawlers on the boat I usually did OK. The other reason I prefer crawlers (or cut bait or minnows) is that you can fish them with different rigs and presentations depending on the depth, current, etc.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:40pm - Apr 3,08 
Eater's-G and S cheese bait. Big fish Cut and live Shad.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:09am - Apr 4,08 
Peanut butter and ground beef, its like crack for cats.

Peanut butter and wheaties/corn flakes ect will get them but the beef mix seems to get the larger guys.

Average size for the beef mix on fox cats is 5#

I usually use cut bait when I fish the rock for em. or a small rebel craw crankbait.

I used to use the stink-baits but I dont have the stomach for it anymore and have had more luck with live baits and the meat mix then I ever did with sonny's.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:28pm - Apr 7,08 
We use livers on the Fox and do well, trick.. let them sit in the sun for a few days before, the blood coagulates and becomes thick making it stick better plus it ups the stink factor. Also I have heard of taking a marinator syringe and injected the liver blood into hot dogs cut into chunks, the hot dog holds on well and the blood seeps out. Problem is the turtles. I can't wait to try the peanut butter/meat combo sounds great!

Andy

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:54pm - Apr 7,08 
All those offerings sound like good baits. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them in different situations. I like using cutbaits and stink baits. The stink baits lend themselves better when its warmer just because they are easier to work with.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:57pm - Apr 26,08 
Strange combo, but lately ive been trying out some random combos from the kitchen and cut raw chicken breast the strawberry kool-aid packets mixed in works amazing. I havent tried it in the rivers yet but works like a charm in lakes/ponds.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:37pm - Apr 26,08 
I've had good luck with suckers, large minnows and small shiners.. cut off the tail, cut them in half and use either section.

Nightcrawlers or ok, if you're not fishing around drum and carp. Once it warms up, dip baits also work well. You can catch big channel cats with dip bait too.

Shawn

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:55pm - Aug 23,08 
Nothing works better than bluegills(cut up or whole) weve had some big cats that way. I think the new law is that you have to use the gills where you are fishing from? Another question i should post? But also try uncooked shrimp(bout $6.00 at walmart) and marinade it in chicken liver blood for some reason the combined smells work well. :wink:

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:46pm - Aug 24,08 
I suggest match the hatch. On the Illinois cut shad or river herring are hard to beat. A couple of years ago I got a good lesson while fishing the Fox River. I had purchased minnows, and nightcrawlers and fished with only one small cat to show for a couple of hours of fishing.
I noticed minnows feeding over the top of a large flat rock so I got my minnow net from the car, laid it over the rock and managed to get a dozen river minnows. I could not keep them on the hook! Catfish and Smallmouth just went crazy for them.
Earlier this year I wanted to try for some of the larger blue cats at LaSalle. Last year a guy using liver, treated with some type of coloring had a mess of them so I brought liver. It was the day after a cold front, not a cloud in the sky and the wind blowing straight out of the north. I could not catch anything over a couple of pounds. Back at the dock a guy was throwing a cast net for shad. He had pictures on his cell phone of two cats over 20 lbs. One caught on a small white bass he used as cut bait and he other on cut shad. He had caught several around 10 pounds. All catch and release and all on the local forage.
FisherDan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:47am - Aug 25,08 
Stockers love pieces of cheap hot dogs left out in the sun for an afternoon. But again, you get the snapping turtles too.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:34pm - Sep 28,08 
I use chicken livers after they have sat in the sun and spoiled. Sticks like hell, but works great.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:16pm - Sep 30,08 
Get a tub of livers and put a clove of garlic smashed up in it,then leave it in the sun!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:59pm - Oct 5,08 
I use fresh cut gills heads & mid sections, most of the channels average betweem 3 lbs & 9 lbs , but we all know when the channels are feeding they almost feed on anything , i meet a few guys that use mcdonald frenchfrys and clame they work great, iv never tryed them and i think il pass

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:21am - Oct 6,08 
Tim, depending on the size bait, I like cut shad or Bluegills; however I've had success others Baits like Burger, Chicken Liver, Shrimp and Crawlers. I really don't like stink bait, I know it catches a lot of 2-4 lbers.

"If you ain't fishin you ain't living"

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:58pm - Oct 20,08 
we stink bait we call cat balls

peanut butter brown sugar honey crackers

and maybe soon to try adding some pumpink seeds and goo

maybe it will work?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:30pm - Oct 20,08 
hellsbells483 wrote:
we stink bait we call cat balls

peanut butter brown sugar honey crackers

and maybe soon to try adding some pumpink seeds and goo

maybe it will work?

hey hellsbells... what spells do u say along with that mix above? seems like some witchcraft blend. hahah. j/k

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:39am - Nov 14,08 
I have tried jared livers with no luck on the des plains river I think good old night cralers are stand by.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Species Specific » Catfish Corner
Jump to: