Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:22am - Jul 5,16 
Went out this morning to a new spot. Water was very low to the point where I was limited to where I was able to fish. Was near a bridge and could only cast the upstream side because of the low water. I got a hit in front of one of the supports but missed it. Then I decided to try a spot while walking back to the car and cast downstream of a boulder and got something big on. It pulled drag and ran and the water swirled while it ran. Was able to fight it back to about the area where he hit and the line just went slack. Not sure if he spit the lure or charged me and was able to get off or what. I am thinking the way it felt on the line it was a musky. It sure fought like something big. So mad I didn't get him in.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:59pm - Jul 5,16 
Sounds like you're well on your way! You'll get a monster in no time.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:31pm - Jul 5,16 
Sounds like fun, Brad. Like jmdog said, keep at it and it will pay off. Thanks for the reports!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:47pm - Jul 5,16 
thanks for the encouragement guys. Luckily fishing is still relaxing when you get skunked. Keeps me motivated to keep trying and learning.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:10pm - Jul 5,16 
I would count that as a score since you got all of the excitement less the actual landing.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:50am - Jul 7,16 
Went out again this morning and tried the spot where I got that big hit Tuesday ended up getting worse than skunked. I lost 4 rigs on snags off the bottom. A spinnerbait, two weedless plastics and a mepps spinner. This spot is the side of an island, I can't cast to the island but can get about halfway across, I thought it would be good because of all of downed timber in the area however it just caused more heart ache and no hits. The storm must have thrown a bunch of new branches and stuff into the river. I know fishing right after a storm isn't the best time but I work from home some days other days I have to commute, so when I work from home I fish before work since I don't need to get ready and make a commute.

I have been reading stuff online a lot trying to understand how to fish rivers. I know about eddies, and the front of back of structures and basically anywhere there is a current break is good but is there somewhere else I should be looking for? Where I fish I have access to a couple islands, a dam, bridges and a couple large eddie areas that were really shallow when I last fished them only a foot deep. One of the islands I think I can wade almost completely to it but don't know if it is worth it because it is a hike from parking and my time is limited. If it takes me a half hour to get to and a half hour back I can only fish an hour.

Other than any advice that can be given is there anything you guys did to learn how to fish rivers. Books, magazines, blogs, or just practice? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:12pm - Jul 7,16 
Worse is when you fall in (I assume you are wading). So, you did not do that bad. You are on the right track by concentrating on eddies and calm waters. Nice thing about wading in really shallow water is that you can walk to your snagged lure. I also find that fish in low, clear water are spooked easily. So, I will settle in, then not move my feet too much allowing me to become part of the landscape. But, there are times (lots of them for me) when the fish just don't want what I am selling.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 05:05am - Jul 8,16 
bradlgt21 wrote:
Other than any advice that can be given is there anything you guys did to learn how to fish rivers. Books, magazines, blogs, or just practice? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Grab a cup of coffee and a snack, and then click here:

search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=creekyknees&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:34am - Jul 8,16 
Thanks tiny, I am sitting here reading it and taking notes. Seems like what he was catching them on this time of the year I have and have yet to try. So already finding it useful.

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: