Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:58am - Jul 4,16 
Finally got out for an extended stretch for the first time in a long time. Out at first light and spent about four hours wading the Fox. Very low water, and surprisingly chilly for early July. I spend 95% of my river time casting directly upstream or directly downstream at my targets. Today was one of the exceptions as I got almost no action from my normal casting positions. Almost all bites came from heaving a crankbait directly out as far as I could and grinding it back perpendicular to shore. In fact, all fish came on one lure, too.

Ended up with ten, six or seven of them being better than 14". Most people know about fishing the downstream side of bridges. It surprises me how many seasoned river fisher people don't spend the same time and effort on the upstream side which is often the better option. A lot of times, holes are dug when the bridge is constructed and rip rap is piled to prevent erosion. It usually drops a bit in depth just upstream of the pilings. I landed all but two of my fish from this type of area.

Happy Independence Day!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:21pm - Jul 4,16 
Those are some nice fish, dog. I'm glad you're back at it as I enjoy your great reports. Thanks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:19pm - Jul 4,16 
Nice fish and thanks for the tips. Some newbies like me are still trying to figure this fox out.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 08:34pm - Jul 4,16 
Very good fish and advise. Watched them put some piers for the new bridge south of Montgomery and have to say it was fun to watch them divert the flow to do the work.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:08pm - Jul 5,16 
Those are some nice smallmouths. How shallow is the river at the points you fished? I would think crank baits would hang up on the rocks. Well, we might get some rain, the next few days, to replenish the waters.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:04pm - Jul 5,16 
Yeah chuck, water was low but still between 3-4 feet in spots. Bringing it cross current helps with not hanging up. That crank runs fairly shallow at a medium retrieve.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:27am - Jul 6,16 
I have not read any Duper reports from you, jmdog. Are you letting the smallmouth population recover from your not hunting them? You seem to be their biggest threat.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:37pm - Jul 6,16 
Haven't been out much at all chuck. Fished the Fox in Kenosha/Racine a few weeks back but my phone swallowed the pics so I didn't bother posting.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:36pm - Jul 12,16 
Love those smallies!

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: