Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:23pm - Nov 11,15 
Got out this afternoon for a short wade on the Fox. Water was at 1050 cfs, it was very stained and just before a thunderstorm. The river was over waist deep today where in previous trips it was only mid thigh. (I should start mentioning that in my posts since I use them as references for future trips).

I went to a favorite hole that produced the past two trips, under a footbridge. When I finished up fishing the spot previously, I waded thru where I had fished in order to get an idea of how deep the some of the spots were where I caught fish. I went straight to a good spot and on my second cast of the day, BAM!

Not huge, measured 14", but a great start to my wade and like anyone, I assumed that it was going to be a blockbuster of a trip. Not so much. Fished until dark and only had one more fish, a 10"er. In retrospect, with the flow as strong as it was I should've been throwing something to get closer to the bottom than a mepps spinner and rattle trap. Fish were likely holding close to the bottom.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:58pm - Nov 12,15 
She's a beauty for sure! Sometimes in late fall, any action is a job well done. It's not always easy to fish this time of year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:35pm - Nov 12,15 
Yep. Nice chunk. Finding fish this time a year is tough so you did good.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:58pm - Nov 13,15 
Thanks, I was afraid the fall feeding frenzie was over. I'll have to start hitting it earlier next year to catch the whole thing. At what time or water temp will it pick up again in the spring?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:54pm - Nov 16,15 
I forget but 50 degrees was the magic number from what I recall. JMDog help?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:56pm - Nov 17,15 
Got out again yesterday to the place I had real good luck at before, was raining, 55 degrees out and 1250 cfs. went 0 for 4 hookups. one real nice smallie and one I thought I was hung up on a floormat floating downstream until it rolled and turned out to be a hefty walleye, but it shook off too. Not terrible fishing, just not the hot fall action of October.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:37pm - Nov 17,15 
Yeah 50 degrees is about when they start getting aggressive and multiple presentations will work. I generally start tossing crankbaits again in March sometime depending on how warm the weather has been, but water is usually still in the 40's until the end of the month. Sometime in April of most years, the action really picks up and keeps increasing until the spawn throws feeding patterns off for a month or so. But fish can be caught year round and the bite should remain decent into December. All this rain may make things a bit tough but who knows, it may actually help.

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: