Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:43am - Oct 4,15 
I had originally intended to fish the Des Plaines but when I drove by to check it out, it was chocolate milk by me. The Dupage is running way too low and clear for my liking. So it was small lake fishing or the Fox; I chose the latter. Fished two towns starting before sun up. It was windy and chilly, made chillier by leaky waders. Started out throwing multiple different Rapalas all in the Helsinki shad which has become my favorite Rapala color pattern. Lots of bites and started almost immediately.

Had some big bites to go with the fast action.

I stopped by BPS and dumped $40 on new Rapalas and had lost or broke every one of them by 8:00 am, including one to a bite off. It was a strange bite off, too. It happened so fast I never felt any weight almost like someone was sitting there with scissors waiting to snip my line. Out of Rapalas (which was probably a good thing), I switched to a Daiwa medium running crank in black/silver for the last 45 minutes.

Totals were 18 smallmouth and 3 largemouth with the biggest fish being 18", 16", 14", and 14". Despite the good numbers and decent quality, there was a lot of bad in my 4+ hours. First and foremost, I hate getting bit off more than anything. I'm also out $40 and I lost four very photogenic brown bass right at my hand. But my overall assessment of the Fox for the season is that it was a much better year than 2014, albeit not as good as 2013 and previously were. Not sure if I'm done with her yet this year but I'm viewing next season very positively.

Last edited by jmdog on 09:47am - Oct 4,15, edited 1 time in total.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:44am - Oct 4,15 
Nice fatty smallies!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:54am - Oct 4,15 
Haven't fished the Fox this year like I normally would. Thanks for the awesome report. I might have to hit up some spots and see if they are improving too. Nice Smallies BTW... looks like a blast!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:30pm - Oct 7,15 
As usual, you killed them. Read my latest on the Duper. The water is low and clear but the fish are there but I am very positive that the water quality means stealth is of prime importance. I would like to get the fly rod out on the Fox just for the change of scenery but the arthritic knees are whispering "you better take it easy Chuck". With the size of fish you are catching, a 5wt fly rod would be more appropriate.
Leaky waders? I was impressed with Orvis. They took my leaking waders (were leaking at the seams on my Enduras) and exchanged them, gratis, for the new Enounter ones which are vastly superior in fit.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26am - Oct 8,15 
Nice i fished south of Wilson bridge yesterday night with my pops for an hour and got a few baby SMB's thats about it glad to see you getting some nicer ones Fox hasnt been to kind to me as far as smallies this year

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:12am - Oct 9,15 
thanks for the report, nice fish! wish I had better luck, got out for an afternoon at the beginning of the week, only one dink smallie. time of day wasn't ideal, but was hoping for way more.

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: