Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:55pm - Apr 2,20 
Hi all, I was planning on fishing trail creek this weekend and I’ve never been. I scrolled through a lot of old posts, and I am having trouble getting firm info on what parts of the stream are legal to fish in April. Also, are there steelhead in the creek this time of year? I’ve seen a lot about floating spawn, but I usually fish with flies in the streams.

Thanks!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:56am - Apr 4,20 
https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3591.htm

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:03pm - Apr 4,20 
Here is a link to Trail Creek public access areas that should also be helpful.

http://www.chitown-angler.com/1tackle/maps/trailcm.gif

Keep in mind that there are steelhead in the Indiana creeks, pretty much year round. Different times of the year have runs, such as June-July summer runs and fall runs that usually start the middle of September and get real good in October. January and February they have brilliant colors, and the water is usually pretty clear. This is a great time to learn the creeks when the water is clear and low, to see holes, flows, and downfalls. I've learned the most from the creeks by fishing this time of the year. Come summer when the water is cloudy and high, you will know where the fish should be sitting. Holes will change from year to year depending on flow and new dead falls, but I have fished many of the same holes in the past 30 plus years, and the same ones continue to produce year after year. Put the time in, and you will be rewarded. It is one of my most favorite ways to fish. The tight quarters give the fish every advantage.

A blast from the past, from when I could still carry both my kids.

Another blast from the past. A February male with some great colors.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:41pm - Apr 5,20 
Thanks! Fished it for a few hours today and caught about a dozen 7 inchers. Saw 1 bigger fish moving through.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:34pm - Apr 6,20 
Tommy caught one this morning on the Grand River in Grand rapids.

She was dropping eggs. He released her.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:20am - Jun 9,20 
Tom, When they run in the summer is it typically closer to the lake or do they run all the way in through the creek. I've only checked out the fishing area near US 20.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:32pm - Jun 10,20 
b5fergus wrote:
Tom, When they run in the summer is it typically closer to the lake or do they run all the way in through the creek. I've only checked out the fishing area near US 20.

They keep going up. 20 is a good spot, but can get crowded.

Here is a link with some other public access sites.

http://www.chitown-angler.com/1tackle/maps/trailcm.gif

If you don't find them in the creek, go to Michigan City and fish the pier with pink spinners or shrimp 3 feet below a float. 25 to 35 count size cooked shrimp seems to work best. DNR station just off the bridge in downtown is another good spot to hit the fresh fish coming in. Fish have more water to work with here, and jumps can be incredible. The following picture is from the DNR access point, to give you an idea of where it is. The bridge in the background is crossing into Washington Park.

That being said, I still love to fight them in the creek with the log jams and the low trees. They have every edge when you catch one there. It's like a knife fight in a phone booth.

Couple more winter run fish....

Put the time in during the winter to learn the holes when the water is low and clear. You may not get a lot in the winter, but that knowledge will pay off for years in the summer when the water is cloudy and the fish are stacked. :winker

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:20am - Jun 11,20 
I fished the pier this past Sat 6-9AM. Tons of people out and I saw 2 steelies being caught. Most people were doing shrimp/bobber and one guy next to me caught a beautiful healthy looking skamania on a spinner like Tom mentioned. Lots of boats passing by too which made bobber fishing tough. I quickly checked out the DNR station around 9:30 and it was shoulder to shoulder.

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: