Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:25pm - May 15,17 
the river is dropping fairly quickly but still about twice it's normal flow . still muddy to off color with some clarity in slower water near shore . temps high 60's .

weather has been great, not even an old curmudgeon can complain about it .

At one point , singlespins over and around the under developed water willow beds at a nice steady pace was the ticket . The next time you could not buy a bite on singlespins . Chatterbaits and rattlebaits over and around the beds did catch smallmouth and channelcats.
Rattlebaits worked both directions on the current seams also produced . A jig/pig bounced downstream past the current break produced the two nicest smallmouth of that trip .

Next trip ,I could not buy a bite around the waterwillow cover . However creekmouths and the front edge of riffles produced a lot of smallmouth in a wide variety of sizes . The only lure that produced was a hard jerkbait, mostly three turns of the reel handle , two jerks and repeat . Most of the fish pounded it on the jerks. The only other thing that worked was to jerk it down and let it deadstick with the current . The only indication you got of a bite was to see the line start doing something different, i never felt a pickup. The biggest smallmouth of the trip went for that approach .

It really feels good to being getting back into the swing of things .Healthwise , I'm feeling much better, that will likely change in July when I start radiation and chemo combined .

I will survive .

The music menu for the trips has been varied , Grateful Dead, Led Zepplin , James Taylor and the original Chicago Transit Authority [ Poem 58 being the favorite].

Peace

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:35pm - May 15,17 
Sure glad to hear you getting better and being able to fish. Have you searched for any crappie? Are the walleye done now?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:37pm - May 15,17 
Great report Norm!! I love that Terry Kath CTA, wish he would have left us more.Smallies around the harbors up in my neck of the woods have been great the past 3 or 4 weeks even with the wacko weather. It's been fun figuring out what they want hour to hour day to day. Today it seemed most all of them were more interested in pairing off and bedding down than anything else but I managed a couple dragging tubes along transitions between soft and hard bottom areas. The fish on the harder bottom flats were completely ignoring everything. Anyway, keep on truckin' dude!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:06pm - May 15,17 
I have been most interested in smallmouth lately , have n't given walleye mush thought . I didn't bring any crappie sized lures the last few trips account bass intensive .

Terry Kath may have been one of the most underrated guitarist of that era . Have you tried using plastic leeches on an 1/6 to 1/8 jig or a centipede/french fry worm t rigged or on a light jig with a 3/0 hook instead of tubes . They used to work real well for me back in the day when next to no one knew the smallmouth were even there on the days when the smallmouth were real tight mouthed . i bet next to no one uses them any more .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:26pm - May 15,17 
Okay.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:28pm - May 15,17 
Great to see you getting back out amigo. Best medicine there is!

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:50am - May 16,17 
Hey there Creeky, I'm also happy to hear you are feeling better and again chasing fish with some regularity.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:48pm - May 16,17 
:bigyuck

That "okay" was meant to be a response to a text that came in while I was looking at the forum. Anyway, I did resort to a t-hooked French fry worm for about 3 casts before I started feeling dirty and retied the tube. Most people have a line they draw in the sand, dynamite, snag hooks, live bait,... sight fishing spawners is just not my thing. I prefer to fish fast and work the edges and dark water for active fish, even if it's not as productive.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:55am - May 17,17 
I don't sight fish spawners either . I meant fish them in finesse situations in place of stuff everyone else is using . Sometimes something they haven't seen in a while can add a few extra fish .

I believe in starting aggressive and working back to finesse . Many times you never get to finesse .

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: