Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:43am - Jan 19,21 
With getting the devastating news of testing positive last week, I was fortunate enough to not get hit hard by the virus. With mainly just sinus congestion, I deemed it the perfect opportunity to hit the old stomping grounds of the Dupage, on a week long solo mission.
At first my hopes were not real high, knowing it would be tough enticing anything into biting with cold temps in the middle of winter. After a few adjustments, I quickly realized my original thought of slow fishing, couldn’t be farther from the truth.
Making the switch to an eighth ounce jig head paired with a 3.5 inch green and silver kaitech, was the ticket to cracking the code of the typically slow period of the Dupage.
The first few days produced too many smallmouth to count. Man are these fish a blast to fight in cold water.
The smallmouth weren’t the only species snappin throughout the week..... after nearly a two year dry spell of not catching a walleye in the Dupage, I was beginning to worry my little honey hole was tapped in to by someone else. That doubt was soon cleared up after hooking in to two respectable walleye back to back days.
Throughout the walleye and smallmouth mayhem, a few carp also decided to join the party, through absolutely hammering my jig on multiple occasions.
Finally, to finish off the week, I decided to hit the fox on a quick night trip. The lucky horseshoe struck again, with another walleye on the same set up.
All fish on the Dupage were released to fight another day..... the walleye on the Fox not so much ;)

Not completely out of the woods yet with the virus, but with the end in sight, I’m very thankful I haven’t spread the virus to anyone that I’m aware of.
Hoping for better and clearer days ahead,
Captain AJ

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 06:45am - Jan 20,21 
Great way to recover AJ, hope you stay well and keep fishing

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:59am - Jan 20,21 
I had it too. Worst part was the loss of taste.

Unlucky for me, the 2 kids kept my ass moving. Would have loved to be quarantined to just fish like that.

Really Jealous.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:59pm - Jan 20,21 
I got the virus back in May.
Only mild symptoms,fatigue in the morning,loss of taste.
2 weeks away from work,and fishing was slow.
Wife was happy,she got a remodeled living/Dining room !
Glad to hear did not hit you hard and your honey hole is still producing!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:31am - Jan 21,21 
Given that your taste buds aren’t functioning I would be happy to beer batter and eat the walleye for you!
Always impressed when someone catches a walleye within 60 miles of the chicago suburbs.

Side note: I’ve been hearing a ton about the kietech plastics recently, are they really that much better than other swim baits? Hoping to get your opinion before I add them to my “land of misfit toys”.

John 21:10

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:08am - Jan 21,21 
Mhimes28 wrote:
Given that your taste buds aren’t functioning I would be happy to beer batter and eat the walleye for you!
Always impressed when someone catches a walleye within 60 miles of the chicago suburbs.

Side note: I’ve been hearing a ton about the kietech plastics recently, are they really that much better than other swim baits? Hoping to get your opinion before I add them to my “land of misfit toys”.

I’ve played around with many paddle tail brands and I am totally sold on the kaitechs. Get the 3.5 inch, in green and silver or white and silver. The tail has way more movement than anything else I’ve seen. One thing I’ll do though, is bite off part of the head on it before I hook it on to the jig head. They sell them in 3 inch as well, but the profile of the bait is much smaller than the 3.5. I’ve noticed a lot less short bites when you do this. I’ve had a lot of problems with walleye nipping at just the tail and missing the shank before I started doing this.
Here’s a pic of the first walleye, guarantee you I would’ve lost that fish if I didn’t shorten the kaitech. I have also been catching all of my steelhead on this set up as well. All around a killer bait.

Captain AJ

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:48pm - Jan 22,21 
The 15 degree weather wasn’t enough to keep me from gettin another crack at em this evening. Three trips in a row now at the Dupage, starting to get a little pattern figured out with these guys.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:06pm - Jan 22,21 
Good post AJ. Good to see u are able to get out there and with great success. Just don't over exert yourself while recovering. Stay well.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: