Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:15pm - Apr 23,20 
So I used to fish the Kankakee River a lot. Waded miles of it pretty successfully for many years. 4 years ago we moved to about a stones throws from the DuPage. I've been fishing it from Plainfield down to Channahon. My frustration level with this stream is reaching a peak. It's nothing short of a miracle when I can make more than a couple of casts without getting fouled by various forms of weeds, algae, grass, etc., etc. Time of year, bait choice, and technique do not seem to affect this outcome. Simply put, i'm quite sick of it and on the verge of giving up on this stream.
Anyone have any suggestions that I may have overlooked? I can get to the Dupe in 5-15 minutes, depending where I want to fish on a given day. The Kank is now a 35+ minute drive one way. So there's that.
Thanks

Bob P.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:22pm - Apr 23,20 
Wading or from shore? I have similar results from shore but I hear the only way to really fish it is wading or a kayak.

There’s some guys on here that hit it good and I’m sure they can steer you in the right direction.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:00pm - Apr 23,20 
Both. Not questioning locations or techniques. I'm good there. To clarify, just looking for ways to avoid all the gunk that seems to be present through out the water column on this stream. I've tried every technique imaginable, all to no avail. Very frustrating, as I've caught some very nice fish here. Just spending a great disproportionate amount of time keeping my gear and presentations fishable. Thanks.

Bob P.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:16am - Apr 24,20 
Move upstream.

That part of the river has a significant amount more of sediment than sections further North. Combine that with the fact that it tends to be slower/deeper and you get more favorable conditions for plant life. It's one of the hassles of fishing the lower river.

Other than running a swivel & bead 18" in front of your bait to catch the debris before fouling your lure, there isn't much you can do.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:15am - Apr 24,20 
The Great One wrote:
Move upstream.

That part of the river has a significant amount more of sediment than sections further North. Combine that with the fact that it tends to be slower/deeper and you get more favorable conditions for plant life. It's one of the hassles of fishing the lower river.

Other than running a swivel & bead 18" in front of your bait to catch the debris before fouling your lure, there isn't much you can do.

Great One,
Thanks for the info. How far upstream does one need to go ? Just above Plainfield? Naperville area perhaps?
Thanks,
Bob P.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:57am - Apr 24,20 
I concentrate my efforts on the West Branch up in the Naperville area. The West Branch tends to be shallower, quicker and rockier than the East Branch. The East Branch tends to have more sediment and thus more plant life.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:34pm - Apr 24,20 
Looking for a way to get out of the house today I hit the DuPage. I was in the Hammel Woods area. The parking is closed but I found ways to access both pretty far up stream of the dam an below. Disappointing weed choked. I poked around the DesPlaines a little. Stopped by the Rt6 Feed Store on got some fatheads. I headed down to the K3. While the State Park remains closed I accessed it from the S side. Didn’t even bother w the waders there as the weeds washing through the water colum made it pointless. I know from experience that the weeds come and go. Back when Creekyknees was with us and regularly posting his musings of the K3 it was easy to know when to go hit the river. Things change weeds do get flushed by rising water after rains. Keep after it it’ll change

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:19pm - Apr 24,20 
grindstone wrote:
Didn’t even bother w the waders there as the weeds washing through the water colum made it pointless. I know from experience that the weeds come and go

fished the river Wednesday ... not in the start park .... NO weeds ..... fishing was a pleasure ..... caught a few fish .... hope things didnt change that much in a couple of days !!!! !!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:22pm - Apr 30,20 
Bob P. wrote:
So I used to fish the Kankakee River a lot. Waded miles of it pretty successfully for many years. 4 years ago we moved to about a stones throws from the DuPage. I've been fishing it from Plainfield down to Channahon. My frustration level with this stream is reaching a peak. It's nothing short of a miracle when I can make more than a couple of casts without getting fouled by various forms of weeds, algae, grass, etc., etc. Time of year, bait choice, and technique do not seem to affect this outcome. Simply put, i'm quite sick of it and on the verge of giving up on this stream.
Anyone have any suggestions that I may have overlooked? I can get to the Dupe in 5-15 minutes, depending where I want to fish on a given day. The Kank is now a 35+ minute drive one way. So there's that.
Thanks

Bob P.

lol! not like directly at you but because i know your frustration. you should be out there when big clumps of eel grass etc. that can knock you over are floating downstream lol!
i've just learned to deal and if i don't feel like dealing I switch rivers.

"long days and pleasant nights"

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:14pm - May 29,20 
As far as the "gunk" goes. That is a tough one. As far as near residents continue to use lawn fertilizer that contain nitrates (which promote algae bloom) its is unlikely to correct itself! Fish topwater baits the best you can!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:38pm - Jun 1,20 
Weeds will always be present. Bottom bouncing lures without weedguards are pretty much useless, even oftentimes in the cold months. Surface lures are usually good in the warmest months of the year. Shallow running Rapalas, jigs with 3"-4" grubs, or weedless plastics like flukes or craws will otherwise solve most of the weed issues.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: