Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:28am - May 5,20 
I went the last two days to Churchill Woods in Lombard/Glen Ellyn. I've fished the river here many times in search of bass and crappie, zero, zilch, nada. All I've ever saw in there was carp, so after hiking along the river earlier in the week and seeing a spot with a lot of carp movement I decided I'd take the kids fishing. We went Sunday and Monday for approximately an hour each day, carp fish is not the most exciting for a 3, 5, and 7 year old. Keeping their attention was difficult, otherwise I would have stayed longer. Didn't have much else to do. Kept it as basic as it gets for carp fishing a hook, split shot, and corn. In the two hours we had 4 bites, landed 1, about 4-5 lbs, and had a another spit the hook after it took 2 jumps. It was surprisingly very enjoyable. I think I'm going to do a little more research on river carp fishing and see if I can increase my odds. I think they're pretty ugly fish, but to be able to consistently catch fish in the 4lb and up range within 10 minutes of my house seems like something worth exploring. Stay Safe, Mops.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:47am - May 5,20 
I have been told numerous times that McDonalds french fries work wonders for DuPage carp. Who knew.

I cannot validate this personally, maybe something to try??

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:20am - May 5,20 
It's hard to keep the ketchup on them for long. Nice story Mops. Reminded me of 30 years ago when my kids were the same age. I used to take them to the tail waters of the Graue Mill Dam. I'd set the hook and hand the poles to my boys. "he's going to pull me in dad" Years ago but fast action there. It is pretty amazing to watch when a carp does jump. Once I had hooked one on a floating rap in a private pond near SIU so obviously I'm dreaming of a wall hanging bass before it jumped and got loose. Another time I was fishing SM with tubes on the Salt Creek wading about a mile downstream from Graue Mill. Big old carp flashed and missed the tube but didn't spook. I flipped back to him about a half dozen times before he slurped the tube so close I could have touched him with the rod tip. A battle on a ML SM rod. They are (mostly) an under rated fighter. Anything with the kids is time well spent.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 02:26pm - May 5,20 
Try watching cats and carp dot com on YouTube, tons of good info, plus he fishes with his kids.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:55pm - May 5,20 
For big carp, try Naperville's riverwalk. I tried fries but they have a tendency of falling off even during the smoothest cast. Corn should hold on longer. Like you said; just a small split shot of none and a hook. I will tell you this; I caught one, last year, summer, out of the river and my net reeked of an odor so bad I kept it in a plastic bag then washed it upon returning home. But they are fun and fight like heck...especially on an ultralight rig.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:33pm - May 5,20 
Some people do not like to admit how much fun is had fighting one of these fish.I too had visions of huge bass or catfish then,to the surface comes ole' buglelips himself. I intentionally target them at times and say whole kernel corn on a hair rig is hard to beat.Be careful though if you are tightlining ,and make sure your rod and reel is well anchored or you might lose it. Lets face it,the thought of landing a 10lb.bass around here is all but impossible, however a 10 or 20 pound carp is quite possible. Good Luck and have fun ! Image

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: