Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:06am - Aug 8,17 
Instead of the fly rod, I took the ultralight and white grubs and Chomper worms, yesterday evening. I awoke the mosquitoes as I broke through the weeds to get to the river. I should have used more OFF since they were biting even through the long sleeved shirt. I caught a fish here and there (mostly rockbass) but the smallmouth action picked up @8pm. I think I had about 10 hookups in 10 minutes and landing 3. I use Eagle Claw bait holder hooks and am wondering if the #6 size is too small or the hook is the wrong design for the baits since most of the fish got off after an initial run. Like the fish had the worm in its mouth but the hook was not embedded in the fish. Any comments on this?
Well, it did prove my point of fly rod v ultralight. The fish are there an I am not enticing the fish with the wooly bugger and doing something wrong. I am not presenting the bugger correctly or maybe I should be throwing a larger fly and going to my 5 wt rod.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:48am - Aug 8,17 
A #6 is pretty small for all but the tiniest plastics, but the plastic may be slipping down and blocking the hook bend. I lost a few bass a few weeks ago when that happened, and that was on a 5/0 EWG!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:54pm - Aug 9,17 
Chuck, try a #4 or #2 Kahle hook. Or Gamakatsu Shiner hook, same size

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:07pm - Aug 10,17 
Thanks, I will surely get the hooks you recommended. I really don't mind the usually sized fish getting off because I do practice C & R but when I get a bigger smallie on, I would like to get it to hand.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: