Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:52pm - Oct 8,16 
Saturday, October 8th, a sunny and calm day. So, I went to the riverwalk in Naperville armed with my ultralight and some plastic worms. I thought the river would have been higher from the latest rain but it was low and slow. Going up and down the river, I caught about a dozen small smallmouth and lost about twice that (I was happy since they were also small and I did not hook them enough to injure them or have to unhook them) and 2 really fat rock bass. White grub or watermelon worm did equally well. But nothing big or even medium.
An old fella (maybe my age but with a good beard) was carp fishing on the southern bank and caught a nice sized fish while I was there. He did it in style with a lounge chair and a long poled net. A cold drink in one hand and maybe a sandwich in the other (I think). He enjoyed the weather and the river as I did.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:09am - Oct 9,16 
Yea it was a great fishing weekend. Even better to get some tugs on the end of the line.

I'm waiting for some more flow before I trek back to the Dupe. Been spending my scant free time at the Fox for the most part.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 08:04pm - Oct 9,16 
Those river fish always tug a bit harder for their size, and that make any outing fun. Glad you got to play with them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:52pm - Oct 12,16 
I followed up Sunday's outing with a visit to the area just north of Weigand park (south of 75th street) with my fly rod, Tuesday afternoon-evening (3:30-6pm). Again, nothing but smaller fish and a grasshopper was the ticket. I had one fish come out of the water (not hard since it was about shin deep) 2-3 times trying to grab the hopper. It turned out to be about a 9" largemouth. Previously, I mused about larger fish hitting the small bluegills and had it happened to one of my catches. I had a small gill hit and was aimlessly hauling it in and my mind was wandering when something, about 10 feet away and in the middle of the river) just quickly hit it and left. I thought I either had a carp awakened or another fish trying to take the hopper from the gill but it was a good hit. The gill seemed okay.
No real excitement but a beautiful evening on the river just the same.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: