Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:44pm - Aug 17,16 
At least I think so for the fish.
I was fishing one of my favorite pools (easy to get to) with my 3wt fly rod and really catching only small gills. yesterday evening. It was a lazy time in the pool which is low and slow. I could see what I thought were carp just suspended or swimming ever so slowly. I was dragging a wooly bugger through the heavy water. On a retrieve, I had a thus and the fight was on. That bull-like plowing was indicative of a carp and my rod was bent as far as I thought it would go. I was fumbling with the reel's drag as the fish was spooling me and I was thinking "it's a carp and my 3wt is not up to handling the fish and I am going to lose a $3 wooly bugger". So, I played the carp for 5-10 minutes with it giving lunges up and down stream. I got it close enough a number of times (no net day again) but it found new energy to take off. Then it happened; I saw the fish's tail and the line went slack and I had my line and lure.
I thought that I had snagged the fish which is why I could not turn it. I thought that it must have been lying and my bugger snagged it on the return (think of the odds; one hook and the hook being covered with bunting and the other stuff). So, Mr. Carp must have been just minding his business when it gets a stinging sensation in his rear and wondering if the cause needed the H-bomb.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:19pm - Aug 17,16 
Lol. Still must've been a good time fighting a river bruiser.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:05pm - Aug 17,16 
Yeah, better than tiny bluegills trying to swallow a #8 or #10 wooly.
Previously, I reported my thoughts of smallmouth eating gills. Again, it happened, yesterday evening. Wading downstream, I was again pre-occupied with small smallmouth, gills and a few rock bass when a fish splashed the surface to my rear. This time I watched and it swirled and splashed here and there and unlike carp of which I am accustomed to seeing. This was about dusk (7-7:30) and suddenly no more bluegills or rock bass hitting the popper or wooly. Like the smaller fish just disappeared. Whatever I have been seeing, it seems to be residing in that pool. (Okay, some jaws music please).

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: