Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:09pm - Aug 10,16 
Pocket pools....I was amused by the size of the bass that I pulled from some of the smallest waters of the west branch. The river is low, slow and crystal clear which is good fly rod weather. Using a #10 wooly bugger, I tried the usual riffles and runs and was not getting any action save a few small gills which amazed me how they thought they were going to swallow that wooly bugger. Like me trying to swallow a truck tire.
With no action, I started downstream and (for the heck of it) threw the bugger into a pool maybe twice the surface area of a bath tub. Boom! I landed about a 10" largemouth. I don't think the depth of the pool was just enough to cover the fish. Another small pool and a smallmouth takes the bait. Kind of fun but more interest in where the fish lie.
I am wading downstream in the shallows and pitching to the other bank knowing that the deep water is in the middle. I pick up a small smallie here and there. I am glad that I lined the rod with a 6lb tippet before leaving the garage.
A little more wading and I throw to a spot just under a low hanging tree. And the bugger is inhaled and I have a very good fish on the line. The rod is doubled over and I get 2 lunges from the fish then all is quiet. I reel in and see that the bugger is gone and the end of the line is curly--the line unraveled off the bugger. Never happened before but I must have not had enough turns before completing the knot. I know this was a much bigger fish and could compete with the 18" smallies I took with the spinning rod. With my eyes giving me trouble when I read or work closely, I can only assume that I botched the knot.
Further down river into popper time (sunset) and territory, I caught 4 really big rock bass on the wooly but changing to a popper, the rest of the time was quiet. What worked well, Sunday, was not working last night.
Anyway, I had fun and was more concerned of fish's state with the wooly in his mouth. Losing the lure means nothing.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:40pm - Aug 10,16 
Quote:
I had fun and was more concerned of fish's state with the wooly in his mouth. Losing the lure means nothing.

Think you need to hit that pool again soon and get BOTH of those BUGGERS.

Thanks for the report Chuck.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:41pm - Aug 10,16 
Good to see you still having some success in some of the toughest conditions of the year chuck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:12pm - Aug 10,16 
There are some nice fish in that river and every once in an evening, I will catch a big splash out of the corner of my eye. I have been thinking of wading the Fox but am unfamiliar with the river. With arthritic knees, I don't relish going down for the count.
As well as the fish, the skeeters are biting. I must have received 4 in one minute while wading the weeds to get to the river.
The area just downstream of Weigand park seems to be taking a hit from the overpass work. There is a ton of (what looks like) cement silt in the river that is easily kicked up. A very light colored sediment alien to the other gravel, rocks and mud. I am wondering how much debris will be allowed to collect on the underpass' pilings before some department will remove it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:31am - Aug 13,16 
There are definitely some rough stretches in the Fox and I've injured myself more there than all of the other spots I fish combined. A lot of things to slip on or trip on in some of the stretches I fish. I use heavy duty Dewalt knee pads now because I've tripped on rocks and smashed my knee at least three times. Tweaked my back pretty good too one time. I try to remind myself to wade deliberately when I'm there.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: