Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:56pm - Jul 16,16 
This morning, instead of taking the fly rod to the west branch, I grabbed a French roll from the pantry and took my new Johnny Morris spinning reel (attached to an old, noodle-like rod) and went after the carp which always have eluded me. I used a small spit shot and a #6 Eagle Claw bait holder hook and cast into a large pool. My first hit was sudden (I guess the carp never saw bread on a hook in this pool) and the fish just surged throughout the pool before it tangled into some grass and the line broke (this became a big problem). My second strike was also sudden and the battle was on. Boy, this aint like hauling bluegills and small smallmouths in; that fish bent my rod and everytime I got it close and tried to net it (I did remember to bring it along, this time), the carp just found new strength and battled back. I finally got it in the net and I will bet it was just under 24". The fish was exhausted so I took it to land and unhooked it letting it swim away.
Then came the big problem. 3 Successive fish ons and the first rush, each time, snapped the line either at the split shot (?) or at the hook. I can only think that I spooled the reel with 6lb spider wire since I had a spool in the basement. I tested my drag and found it to be good with no hangups and would not break the line. Any thoughts here? Maybe return to good old Trilene which is more elastic? Maybe drp the ultralight and get my heavier spinning rig out to do battle. There are some really large carp and they probably are used to owning that pool.
BTW, I tried to use a Ball Park Angus hotdog but it would not stay on the hook. Says a lot about what we (I) are eating these days.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:21am - Jul 17,16 
If your drag is working and set correct, and your line is new, check your eyes on the rod, especially the tip.

Went fishing and had a drink or went drinking and caught a fish?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:29am - Jul 17,16 
Ditto on guides of the rod; that is most likely.

Also, how are you tying your knots? If it is a standard trilene knot, that is not the best way forward. A better way can be found here:
http://www.berkley-fishing.com/Berkley- ... -knot.html

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:03am - Jul 17,16 
Chuck, as I recall, 6# spider wire actually breaks at about 10-12#. With the soft rod you describe, I don't see a way for a fish to break the line. Do you use a mono leader ? Do you see any line fraying ? (sign of bad guides) , any grooves in your guides (spider wire and other braids ruin poor guides). Lastly, 3 knots work well with any of the super lines, uni knot, palomer, and figure 8. There are others , I am sure, but these are the 3 I use. Ooops, forgot to mention, pinching split shot, can and does cause, line knicks, = broken line.

Go get em.

Bob M.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:02am - Jul 17,16 
Run a nylon through the eyes and see if you pick up a snag.

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:28pm - Jul 17,16 
Thanks for your suggestions; I will follow them all. Right before this morning's storm, I returned with my Shakespeare spinning outfit (Ugly Stik and reel). I spent only an hour because the lightning was pretty close. I checked my drag and lightened up on it to be on the safe side. Sure enough, the first carp was spooling me and I gave the reel another click on the drag and bing it went. I am not snapping off at the hook since the break is clean and (also) the split shot was gone. The second carp gave me the same result; some fighting, getting it close then bing.
I am fishing where the current goes over rocks then becomes a pool so I may be finding myself in a situation where the fish are running the line over the rocks (now, I am pullling straws).
Anyway, I went to Bass Pro and picked up 14lb Trilene and will re-spool the reel. I also need to find a better bait than the French buns (they were handy-in my pantry) since they are $3.99 for eight and I found that the middle forms a nice ball that doesn't fall off the hook as does the crust.
The thought about the guides is a good one since those carp are placing a huge strain (tension in the line) on the rod at the guides.
Nice thing about these carp--they are always around and ready to bite if the bait suits them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:24am - Jul 23,16 
I am re-rigged and itching to tackle them carp again but I cannot seem to get the gumption to don those plastic pants (waders) in this weather and walk about a quarter mile from the parking lot to the fishing hole.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:54am - Jul 23,16 
chuckt wrote:
I cannot seem to get the gumption to don those plastic pants (waders) in this weather and walk about a quarter mile from the parking lot to the fishing hole.

Then dont!! Just put on an old pair of shorts and tennis shoes and go wading. When its this warm out the cool water is the perfect thing to keep you fishing. the Duper or Fox rivers. I use an old fanny pack for tackle and plastics.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:13pm - Jul 24,16 
Sounds good but with arthritic knees, walking with sneakers on that slimy stuff on the rocks really brings out the pain in any misstep. So, felt shoes are the order of the day. I'll wait for this 95F and 90% humidity to abate.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:01pm - Jul 26,16 
Went to the west branch, this morning, armed with the Ugly Stik, Shakespeare reel with 14lb line and French bread (spur of the moment so I did not prepare the ammo). In the 3 hours, at one hole, I landed one medium and 2 large (about 28") carp. The water was high and running more swiftly from the prior rains. I was up to my belly button in water. Most of the first hour was doing a search and trying to avoid the fast moving current. So, it was in the last hour that I located the fish and the action began. Other than the 3 carp in hand, I had 3 misses and some mystery hangups which I attribute to floating debris under the surface.
Now, I must home in on the bait so it will remain on the hook longer than the white part of the bun. Maybe use corn or I am thinking a mixture of American cheese or peanut butter mixed with bread. The salt should attract them and the white bread is a visual attractor.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: