Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:18am - Jul 4,16 
I took the fly rod to the west branch, Saturday evening, and fished from 5:30 until about 8. While throwing a wooly bugger and catching small fish (the smallies and gills hit it), I saw a big fish splash the water about 100 feet downstream near shore by a tree growing on the water's edge. I made my way down there in the course of casting and moving. I know this as a small pool as the river makes a turn and I can usually pick up rock bass and bluegills of nice size. And so it happened this time around with me using a black popper (really love it when the fish whack a surface lure). Doing so, I began to wonder if that fish was a large smallmouth feeding on bluegills which seemed to be laying in this area (as always).
And which kind of explains why I am only catching the smaller ones--too small a wooly (about a #10) for the big boys to be interested.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:48am - Jul 4,16 
I wouldn't be surprised. I've had Dupage smallies cough up all kinds of stuff including mice, frogs, and various different fish species. I'll say this, smallmouth will attack surprising large targets. We routinely hook them up north with 10"+ muskie lures.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:47pm - Jul 4,16 
I've caught a bunch drifting for cats using small gils. There was a few times i seen them grab the bait while i was retrieving it.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: