Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:19am - Jun 18,16 
I mentioned in my last thread that there were hatches along the river. Last year, I came upon a heavy hatch (on the west branch) of which the flies mattted the river. The carp were sipping them with zeal. I cast the tiniest fly I had but the carp are smart and just ignored it and sipped around it as it floated by. Yesterdays, hatch seemed to contain a slightly larger insect. So, what are these insects and what kind of fly and leader should I be using? I would love to tangle with one of those bruisers even though he would probably snap that leader like a piece of sewing thread.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:32pm - Jun 19,16 
Stonefly maybe? Some varieties of those can get relatively large. Mayfly hatches are also pretty common in our area.

As far as fly selection, what I've learned so far is that people seem to over emphasize finding an exact match on a fly. Try using a small net to get a sample of what's hatching and find the closest match to what's in the net. I'd put the fly attributes in this order:

- Size
- Color
- General shape

A good ballpark range on tippet would be 3x - 5x. If fish seem skiddish, you could incorporate fluorocarbon tippet, although it does sink, so it can't be used with dries.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:24pm - Jun 19,16 
Great One, your fly attributes are what I use. Usually, I will see the tiny gnats hatching and these look like blue winged olives but this last hatch carried a fly about twice as big. I have landed some pretty nice sized bluegills during these hatches and they are not particular. Looking down their throats, they are literally full to the gills. The carp are so picky that throwing the closest fly in my box, they snubbed it. Then again, with all those flies on the water, my bait is just one of thousands.
I will check what I am using for my tippet and use your suggestion.
Lousey thing about those tiny flies is that it is hard to even pas the line through the flies' eyelets. As I get older, the bigger the eyelets I need :)

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: