Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:23pm - Feb 5,16 
Got out after work for the last hour+ of light. I think they whiffed on the predicted high of 33 because my guides were iced up. I tried three spots but only one produced. First fish brought to hand was this beauty:

That was a nice bit of excitement in early February. These sows have taken a shinin' to me lately. She still pulled hard and I was concerned my med light would break or my line would snap so it took me probably five minutes to finesse her in. It's staying light a bit longer. Next bite was a dark brown smallmouth of about 15" that shook off at the surface after I got a good look at her. Nothing makes a cold outing colder than losing a nice fish. This time of year you never quite know when your next bite is coming. I actually missed quite a few taps as they were biting a bit short. Did manage to stick a few with the bite picking up as darkness started to arrive.

Totals were two smallies, a rock bass, and a carp with at least that many more missed or lost.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:56pm - Feb 5,16 
Not bad at all. Carp can really scratch the itch on lighter gear.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:07pm - Feb 6,16 
Great trip out! Now you've got me reconsidering a trip to the Fox tomorrow instead of Pistakee or Bangs for some ice. What was the lure and presentation that worked? I've never really tried the river this time of year for smallies, guessing its something slooooooooow.

Thanks for the report!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:24pm - Feb 6,16 
I was tossing a 1/4 oz jig with a 4" Mister Twister in white. I probably should have downsized to a 3" grub because I actually missed quite a few short biters. I think my hookup ratio would have been better with a smaller presentation. It was worked very slowly and the bites were light and tentative.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:08pm - Feb 6,16 
WOW! You caught a carp on an artificial and in this cold weather! That is really something. Thinking that the fish are lethargic, I would think that you were really slow fishing that twister. And I am thinking that you were not wading so you had to net of reach down into the water for that carp. Kudos, to you.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:07pm - Feb 6,16 
Yeah chuck, it was no easy feat landing that carp without a net. I had to reach in under her belly and scoop her up. Felt like I snagged a log or something at first but then started pulling upstream.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:12am - Feb 7,16 
over the years actually caught more carp on lures in winter than summer .

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: