Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:54pm - Dec 16,15 
Got out for a couple of short outings on 12/13 and 12/16 in the a.m. Outing one was on the east branch and got rather ho hum results. Six total landed with the best fish probably being a decent rock bass and a smallmouth 12"+:

Outing two was on the west branch this morning. I got up early for a quick one hour hit and run before work as the rain was subsiding because, well I'm a dummy. Bite was actually quite good before sun up. Totals were seven rock bass and five smallmouth with the biggest fish being 14" and one pushing 17":

Big fish also happened to be number 800 on the season for me.

Now that I've got that monkey off my back and I'm past that milestone, I'll most likely be packing it up until March, for the most part. I'll still get out in good conditions or when the bug gets me.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:30pm - Dec 16,15 
Nice work dawg!! No ice fishin fer Yis?!?! I don't think I've kept count of my yearly catches, but 800 is an awfully impressive number. Really makes me wanna keep a fishin details journal again. I kept a fishin journal for a summer when I was in high school, but for the life of me I can't figure out what I did with it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:36pm - Dec 16,15 
Nope I don't often ice fish. I actually have a certification to get for work that will occupy my winter which is just fine by me. I'll get out occasionally to fish the river but generally I don't fish much if the temps are below freezing. I usually fish in the mornings since that's when I have time, and low teens isn't very comfortable to fish in. I recommend recording catches. I use a spreadsheet to track total fish, fish per hour, etc., and a word doc for keeping track of conditions, lure choices, presentations, etc. I have five years of records now and pretty much know when to fish my spots based off of time of year and conditions. Keeps me on fish usually.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:26pm - Dec 16,15 
Wow, 800?! That's great! I've been able to fish 1-3 times a weeknon average since ice out and I wish I kept track of numbers.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:04am - Dec 17,15 
Nice set of fish. While at Orvis, the salesman and I discussed fishing this late. He mentioned that he thought that the smallmouth have migrated to deeper water. Do you find this to be true? Have you been hitting deeper water (south of B'brook,etc...)?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:15pm - Dec 18,15 
I've actually been catching them in the same spots as I was four months ago. I would think they would move to the deeper spots as temps bottom out but that's just my own speculation. I'd love to see a Dupage smallmouth tagging study done. I can dream :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:18pm - Dec 21,15 
Do not dream. Press the issue with the D&R. Did they not complete such a study some years ago to check the population of the smallmouth in the Duper? I would think that the Illinois Smallmouth Assn would be interested in this also.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:53pm - Dec 21,15 
You would be surprised at some of the places winter smallmouth hang out in especially in the shallower rivers here abouts . Don't fret about bottom content and it can be shallower water if it's slower . Woody cover is definitely a plus .

Play the sun in winter, fish the side that is getting it .

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: