Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:37am - Nov 1,15 
With the rain moving in I made it a point to get out to the river. Saturday morning the river was still low and I suspect the afternoon would have been dynamite with the rising water. Still enough bites to justify getting out before sun up.

Best fish was a carp running maybe 6lb or so:

Four smallies, a rock bass, and that carp in about two hours for Saturday a.m.

I watched the gauges intently as it rained hoping for the right flow. Worms were all over my driveway which is Mother Nature's way of saying go fish for river smallmouth. I was delighted to see 290+ cfs when I woke up on Sunday morning. Perfect flows range between 200 and 350 cfs in my opinion. Warm water, cold water, doesn't really matter. Rising water ignites smallmouth bass and these conditions are as close as you can get to the proverbial "fish in a barrel." Just used a 4" Powergrub in white with black flakes on an 1/8th oz BPS saltwater jig:

Good scenery as the trees are in their full autumn glory.

Ended up with nineteen smallmouth and a kamikaze rock bass that likes to hang out with big bass. Missed or lost at least another ten. Almost all of the smallies were 13"+ with over half of them being bigger than 14".

Last edited by jmdog on 01:58pm - Nov 1,15, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:47am - Nov 1,15 
Nice bunch of fish. Halloween? It rained all morning and afternoon in the Naperville area yet I see sunlight in your pics. As usual, a nice set of fish caught. I latched onto a really big rockbass that was (like you said) haning around in the area of where I was catching smallies. Caught it on an autumn bugger while fly fishing. May I ask what you were using to lure that carp into biting? I would like to coax one into biting when I fly fish so I would try to imitate what you were using.

I have not been out there for about 2 weeks due to my catching a cold or a sinus infection.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:15pm - Nov 1,15 
Yeah it was two hours on 10/31 and three hours on 11/1. I'd have fished all day, all weekend if it was up to me ;) Couldn't have asked for better conditions with the rain bumping up the flow and a warming trend starting. All fish were caught on a jig/4" grub. I switched between a Powergrub and Mister Twister; I believe the carp came on the MT.

Couple more.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:14pm - Nov 1,15 
That's great; a carp on an artificial. The fish should be fattening up for the winter. Beautiful weather, now.
I have used MT's but not with too much success opting for the Chompers 4" worms which the smallies, rock bass and bluegills hit.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:16pm - Nov 1,15 
I wanted to add that judging from the blue jeans in the pics, you shore fished vs wading.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:17pm - Nov 1,15 
Check yourself for ticks if you did hike in the brush? They are pretty active this time of year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:30pm - Nov 3,15 
great post, thanks! I'll have to get back over to the Dupage for some fall action before it slows down. Btw, when does it typically slow down, I assume their apetite is tied to water temps?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:27pm - Nov 3,15 
Last year I fished jigs/grubs all the way until the end of December but, yeah, most years they slow down by then. At any rate, when I fish in the winter, I only use either a float n fly or jig/grub worked slowly. They should bite well enough on shad rap type baits throughout November though. Most important thing is always finding the fish, no matter the season.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:37pm - Nov 4,15 
A float N Fly? What type of fly? Are you catching smallies on this rig? I am curious since I a;ways tell myelf that whatever I do on a flyrod, I can dowith ultralight. I have used a wooly bugger and a small splitshot for smallies on my ultralight.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:48pm - Nov 4,15 
They all look like this, various colors:

Slowly dragging bottom with a jig/twister or Gulp minnow or suspending a float n fly are really the only techniques I use when the water temps really bottom out.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:55pm - Nov 4,15 
Awesome report as always.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: