Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:20pm - Oct 7,15 
I took my 3wt fly rod and hit the west branch about 4:30pm. I met another fly fisherman who happened to be fishing when I arrived so I stayed away from where I saw casting his line. We exchanged pleasantries and how he was doing. As I suspected, he was taking some small ones (of which I had been saying during my past adventures). I caught some really small bluegill and even smaller smallmouths--nothing of consequence--on a #10 wooly bugger. He had a nice cast as I watched. About 5:30, he decided to pack it in and we got togther and talked about rods, flies and the river.
About 5 minutes after he left, the fishing picked up and I caught a so-so largemouth and another so-so smallmouth. I cast into a quiet pool along the stony embankment and I felt a large fish hit. Not leaping but boring and running through the pool. I was worried about that 5lb leader that I had attached to the fly line the night before-the fish was really taxing my TFO rod. As I got it closer, I could see that it was a really nice sized smallmouth and it had that bugger in the side of its mouth and was using the current to its advantage. No net. I hadbeen bringing it but since I have only been getting smaller fish, I deided to leave it home. But I was fortunate to land it by hand and it would easily be my 3rd largest smallmouth from the Duper. I would guess in the 15-16" range. Unhooked it and gently returned it to the water.
The sun was now goign down and this part of the river is shaded so I exchanged the bugger for a small black popper. Bluegill love to hit a small black popper even though many of the strikes are short and hit the tail. Then, casting into where the river has a dropoff, I caught about a 12" smallmouth which came out of the water to hit it. It actually jumped on top of the popper. Crazy! With the sun going down (about 6:30), I decided to return to the land calling it a good day on the Duper. As jmdog stated, the smallies are there.....I just need to home in on them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:27pm - Oct 8,15 
That's a nice day for sure. Your fly rod probably plays really nicely in the lower water. I make sure I always have my net nowadays. As soon as you don't have it, you need it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:16pm - Oct 8,15 
And when I have the net, I don't need it. So, is it better to not have it? I do wish I had a camera to take a selfie. Bought a new one that is waterproof but just plain forgot to bring it.

The low water theory and my wooly buggers riding too high in the higher water-stronger currents is still in my mind. Prior to the fish hitting, I tried to add weight with a tiny piece of split shot. I got the bugger deeper but it made no difference. During the period of the sun going down and in the shadows of the banks, the fish in the deeper water were rising to hit the black popper.

Too many theories and too little time to test them on the waters.

I think the low water will be with us for awhile.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:38am - Oct 13,15 
That's a river for you. I went to the same spot, 2 days later, and got skunked but for one or two small ones. Changing the flies (bugger to popper to streamer) did nothing for me. Then again,that is what makes a river so interesting. One can count on the scenery below the water's surface to not be the same, day after day. With the current windy days, I have not attempted to go out since the choppy surface mixed with a low river must make it hard for the fish---and for me.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: