Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:34pm - Aug 13,15 
I went to the west branch, yesterday, from 5 to about 7:30pm. Same place and I started with an autumn bugger and caught 2 smallmouth of no size (and a lot of time between strikes) so I changed it for a small, black popper and the fun began. All this year, I was wondering where the rock bass were and they appeared to hit on the topwater. Some were about 9" long and put up a nice fight on the 3wt which was great for casting this small popper. Between some nice sized bluegill and a few sunfish and the rock bass, I had no trouble filling my time.
One thing I did was to clip the tail of the popper after having a good number of strikes that somehow did not hookup. I figured that the fish were hitting short although there may have been some of the smaller panfish making hits.
I also noticed that the cleaner the cast (the line, leader and tippett landed nicely), the hits occurred as soon as the popper hit the water.
I did catch 2 smallmouth (again, where have all the big ones gone) on the popper as I stripped it in.

The river is slow and clear so I was very careful trying to kick up as little sand and dirt as possible.

Maybe I will try tomorrow morning since I am suspicious that there are hatches going on making the feed early.

BTW, Mejiers sells poppers 4 for $5.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:30am - Aug 16,15 
Thanks for the post! I've been busy with family stuff every weekend for a month now, sounds like the dupe is worth a trip when I catch my breath. I recall reading that summer time is great for numbers, but the big boys go near nocturnal. Not sure why that is, oxygenation of the cooler water or something?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:08am - Aug 16,15 
We must have received more rain than I thought, Friday night-Saturday morn. I went to the Duper, yesterday @7:30am, and found it to be higher and murky. Murky enough that I did not see my wading boots in about 2-1/2 feet of water. Needless to say that I could not get a fish to bite so after a little more than 1/ hour at one hole, I called it quits and tended to my Saturday chores. I also saw only one very small hatch going on.
The popper worked well and I am thinking of trying a larger terrestial like a grasshopper or stay small with a foam beetle.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:20am - Aug 16,15 
Nice report chuck. The big fish should turn on in the next few weeks.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: