Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:28pm - Jul 7,18 
I felt lucky so I went out, yesterday and today, both times around 5-8pm, on the west branch. Yesterday, I parked at Knoch Knoll Park and fished that area and downstream with the fly rod. Aside from the mosquitoes trying to eat me alive, they were the only bites I got. Undaunted (and maybe with a short span of memory), I tried again, this evening but with my ultralight and rubber worms and further upstream. Night and day. I spent from 5:30-7:45 in one pool because they just kept hitting my baits. I really lost count but the action went like this; 2 smallmouth and the 2nd being probably the largest I have taken from the duper (it was fat enough that it did not jump but just bored down), a bunch of rockbass of no particular size (say a medium size), another good sized smallmouth which got off by the line just pulled out of the hook's eye leaving a curly end (I knew I should have checked the knot after the big one), a few smallmouth in the 12" range. Then I started running low on rubber worms (I left the bag of Chompers on the ladder in the garage) so I used some Bass Pro (just not the same and the fishing showed it) and caught some more rockbass and another smallmouth about 9 inches. All I was left with was white grubs of which no bites were received. So, with the sun setting, I said to myself "put on a small, black popper and get some surface action". I did that using a bobber, about 2 feet above, for weight and caught 3 hand sized bluegill that hit that popper really hard.
Knowing a long walk to the van and figuring that I had enough fun and Sammy had to be walked, I packed it up thinking I made up for Friday's zip.
I need to remember 3 things; a camera, a net and my clip on polaroid glasses (looking into a setting sun is blinding).
I still need to determine what I am doing wrong with the fly rod since the fish are there but are not responding to the flies as they do to a big old garlickly worm.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:14pm - Jul 9,18 
As a curiosity, I took a tape measure to my ultralight rod. With the smallie's mouth opened and quickly hanging it against the rod, it would be 17-1/2" to a little over 18". I was more concerned about not harming the fish further. I should start bringing a camera but I cannot figure out how jmdog can take those selfies. I have the fish in one hand and trying not to drop my phone or camera in the other. I usually get a photo of my thumb or the wilderness in the background. Anyway, the fish are in there and I need to determine what I need to do to get the bigger ones to bite on my fly equipment. I do note one thing; all the bites were with the rubber worm drifting with the current (I use a #4 baitholder hook and a small split shot) and the fish took the worm ever so gently. Again, which is why the Chompers, loaded with garlic taste, was more effective; the smallies just held it in their mouths in leisurely fashion.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:29pm - Jul 10,18 
That's a darn good fish anywhere chuck, but it especially warms my heart that they swim in our Dupage River. I take pics with my phone by setting a two second timer and pressing click. If you set the phone up for the shot beforehand, you can get yourself into a good position before the timer expires and the pic gets snapped. There's also five second option but I like to grab a couple pics and get the fish back in the water ASAP.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: