Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:16pm - Aug 19,20 
Lately both yellow jackets and bald face hornets have been visiting the feeder. Even had a bumblebee for a few days but that did not bother any hummers at all. In fact once they were both feeding on the same station at the same time. The bald face hornets are the real trouble makers. Although they will chase away yellow jackets they also are aggressive to the hummers. If I want to be sporting I will use a cut long thin rubber band and smack them when on the feeder. I even got a few in mid flight once. The easiest method is to fill a spray bottle with vinegar as have a medium wide spray setting. It will knock both yellow jackets and bald face hornets to the ground but only for a few seconds so you need to stomp them pretty quickly or keep spraying with vinegar until they are fully soaked. Any vinegar on the station evaporates pretty quickly and the hummers do not seem to be bothered at all.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:16pm - Aug 19,20 
Great info...thanks

Keep your stick on the ice!!!-----Red Green

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:55pm - Aug 19,20 
If you move the feeders, it will keep the hornets/wasps away for a little bit, until they find it again. They're trained to go to the same area once the have a food source, remove the source, and they'll disappear....until they find it again. Then move it back to the original spot. If there is red, the hummingbirds will find it. Mops

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:38pm - Aug 20,20 
mops7 wrote:
If you move the feeders, it will keep the hornets/wasps away for a little bit, until they find it again. They're trained to go to the same area once the have a food source, remove the source, and they'll disappear....until they find it again. Then move it back to the original spot. If there is red, the hummingbirds will find it. Mops
agree, but the one feeder is in a kind of secluded area that only gets about sun for half the day. I could not move it more than 3 feet which would not do that much good as to the wasps/hornets. I do have another feeder further away so they have an alternate feeder. Killed about a dozen bald face hornets and there seems to be fewer around. Must be from different colonies as two attacked each other and fell to the ground trying to kill each other. Hate to think of one stinging a hummer.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:53pm - Aug 29,20 
After an onslaught of Orioles this spring it's been a bit quiet for the Hummers this summer. Finally got a decent close up though on a local bird that's been visiting fairly often. Probably loading up on calories for the migration.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:27am - Sep 4,20 
Been pretty busy over here the last few days. Mid morning till like 5:30pm

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Chitown-Angler

Location: Des Plaines, IL 185 Nitro, 150 Merc XR6, Silver/Green

Post Posted: 09:26pm - Sep 4,20 
Think they're gettin' ready for the flight south. Staying at the feeder longer, and fewer visits. Anybody else?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:58pm - Sep 5,20 
It's been a little quiet mid-day,just morning and evening.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:56pm - Sep 6,20 
I agree longer visits...had one today sit on the "perch" for over a minute devouring the nectar, rather then just flying around and taking quick drinks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:55am - Sep 13,20 
Was ready to pull the pin and pack up all the little guyz feed stations. Haven't had a visit in three days, then last night at about 1700 hrs, a stragler (I think) shows up
and spends forever on one of my stations. Was thinking that maybe they headed south after the chill from last week. Will do one more round of flight fuel for them and
give them a tail wind wish. Been a good year, just wish Murph was still here with his guidance.

Monk

Support Staff

Post Posted: 04:07am - Sep 22,20 
Saw one come into the flowers while sitting on the front porch a couple days ago. Decided to refresh the feeder and have been seeing one or two a day since. Like mentioned, longer feeds and most of them are perching while they drink. Hope they stay warm!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:32pm - Sep 22,20 
No action at all the past few days.Either they left or I've had some dragonflies as big as the hummers around the house and scared them off.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:41pm - Sep 22,20 
Mixing up what may be my last batch of flight fuel. Had better luck on my first trip to Erie, the walleyes sure cooperated, and found a great charter CPT.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:23am - Sep 24,20 
Mixed my last batch up a few minutes ago. I did see a hummer on the flowers this morning but not the feeder. Food was only 5 days old and looked good (no yellowing etc) but I mixed a new batch up anyway. First hummer I saw in the last 4 or 5 days.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:39pm - Sep 24,20 
Had one drive by this afternoon, believe the next cold snap is the end. See ya next year little guyz!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11pm - Sep 24,20 
I've been pretty steady the last week or so. Every 10-15 minutes there is usually at least a drive by. Probably the same 2 or 3 birds but I keep the nectar fresh and they seem to be loading up. Love sitting on my deck and watch them visit. Almost better than a barley pop. Almost.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:13am - Sep 25,20 
Still been pretty steady here. Got at least 2 almost all day. Gonna be winding down soon.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:11pm - Sep 25,20 
Still hanging around pretty steady. This beautiful day probably helped.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:55pm - Sep 26,20 
Nice pic LTF. I had one stop by this morning then flew off right away. Checked the feeder and it was empty. Apparently, they've been hitting it when I'm not around.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:52am - Sep 30,20 
With the temp drop and no warm up in sight..I've taken my feeders down. Till next year!

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: