Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:46pm - May 6,19 
I need some input from folks. I am stumped. I have thought this long and hard and need advice. I want to take two atvs on my next fishing trip and my 16ft sylvan. The question is how do u think my boat would hold up carrying a 650 pound machine on the floor of the boat. There is 12 rollers holding up the boat on the ezloader trailer. I have loaded the boat up with 10 cases of water and a few suitcases before and that seemed fine. The combination of the boat and trailer would not max the axle capacity. It’s supposed to be 1500lb axle. The boat is supposed to be 566 and the machine is 650. Any input is appreciated. I know a guy who loaded a boat on top of another boat and went to gunflint trail year after year. He never had any trouble. I’m just concerned about the concentrated weight on top of the rollers. I don’t want to go over a bump and have a roller come through the bottom of the boat. I didn’t mention that the other atv is gonna be in the truck bed. Thanks lukasz.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:12pm - May 7,19 
park it on a piece of plywood with some 2x under it to distribute the weight and I think you'd be ok. No different than having two or three guys in the boat. I load the boat full of stuff when we travel, pulls different but never damaged anything.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:29pm - May 7,19 
Thank u

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:38pm - May 7,19 
huntnfish79 wrote:
park it on a piece of plywood with some 2x under it to distribute the weight and I think you'd be ok. No different than having two or three guys in the boat. I load the boat full of stuff when we travel, pulls different but never damaged anything.

Ok, the boat is 566 and machine is 650. You have to have more things in the boat. I think you are pushing it. Nothing worse than burned out bearings on a trip. I wouldn't do it. This is not like having 3 guys in a boat. It it being transported with a 1500 pound axle. The previous advise is seriously not smart. He probably has no idea what axle he has on the trailer.

You have to go by axle weight. I knew someone that put things in a boat to pull to his cottage and he burned out a bearing plus you are putting more weight in the back of the boat. Don't do it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:04pm - May 7,19 
I wouldn't do it either. I know a guy that actually had a second axle added to his trailer to be able to haul camping gear. It's absolutely not the floor of the boat I would worry about, its the trailer, axle, bearing, etc.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:18pm - May 7,19 
When you have 3 guys in the boat, the boat hull is being supported by the water fairly evenly over the hull. Here you have the hull supported at the points of the rollers not evenly over the hull so besides potential trailer problems you could develop some hull problems.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:21am - May 8,19 
bad idea

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:26am - May 8,19 
With everyone else here... terrible idea. If you want to be sitting on the side of the road with a damaged trailer, go for it. Or if you want to potentially damage the hull of the boat, go for it. Otherwise, I'd recommend against it...

You mentioned it has a 1500lb axle. Your boat, and the quad, alone, are 1216lbs. I don't think that's including your outboard motor, either. What size motor is on it? Because I'm about 99% positive that a 16 foot Sylvan doesn't weigh only 566lbs with what is likely a 30-75hp outboard motor. Just going on the low end, a 40hp motor is probably about 200-250lbs, on average. Combine that with all your tackle /gear in the boat, batteries, etc? You're likely over the 1500lb axle weight. Just a terrible idea to do it, IMO. You're asking for trouble.

Last edited by pezdek1 on 09:17am - May 8,19, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:22am - May 8,19 
Let's not forget the last link in the chain, the tires. You'd probably be close to the max weight limit your tires are rated for. Fine and dandy sitting in your driveway but after a couple hours at high speed .... I vote NO!

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 08:49am - May 8,19 
How sure are you on the boat weight? Most manufactures list the weight dry without the motor, batteries and all the gear you put in it. I would be pretty surprised if the boat was that light. Then you have 1,500lb axle but you need to subtract the weight of the trailer from that number which is likely at least 300lbs. I would also be a little worried about the rollers putting dents in the boat but likely not a problem.

The only way to know for sure is to take it to a truck scale and see how much it weighs now. I don't trust any manufactures numbers.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:51pm - May 8,19 
I used to blow tires on my old boat because I overloaded it with camping gear and other assorted stuff.The added weight toes the tires out and you're running partially on the side walls.Stronger leaf springs might be something to investigate.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:58pm - May 8,19 
Thanks for the insight.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:00pm - May 8,19 
Thanks for the insight. I never thought about the weight of the motor and batteries.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:35pm - May 8,19 
what kind of 16 ft sylvan? toon or vee hull? My aluminum sylvan Vee hull with 60 Evinrude 2 stroke, trolling motor, dual batteries, charger, fishing tackle, downriggers, etc I would speculate is close to 1100lbs.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:58am - May 10,19 
Plus you have no shocks > you know how hard you are on your trailer when you ride over railroad tracks without a Hugh Machine in it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:42am - Dec 30,19 
the rollers are going to dent and eventually crack the hull even if the weight of every thing doen not overlad the trailer
if it was a bunk trailer and not over loaded you could do it

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: