Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:22am - Nov 18,19 
Looking to buy a Honda Passport in the spring. Never towed with an SUV, so I am looking for opinions. The Passport comes with a 3.6 V6 (280 hp). Has either FWD or AWD and the towing capacity is rated as such. FWD (3,500 ibs) and AWD (5,000 lbs). Boat is an 18.5 ' Hewescraft, with 90 Honda and 9.9 kicker and 3 batteries, guessing that weighs around 1,900 pounds. Then add trailer and the normal fishing stuff. Selling my current vehicle (2008 Ford F-150 4.6 V8, XLT, RWD) to a friend. The Ford tows ok (looks like 2,500 lbs capacity) and the Passport actually has more capacity if the Ford number is right.

Any thoughts.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:02am - Nov 18,19 
Anything can tow how well will it stop it is the bigger question. If you have breaks on the trailer it should be ok. Might feel in more than with the truck. For me the bigger the tow vehicle the better.
Gdi

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:26am - Nov 18,19 
Agree with GDI. Better gas millage as well will come with that. Does the Honda have a trans cooler? If not, I would recommend getting one installed.

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:12am - Nov 18,19 
see if you could rent one for a day,that way you will know for sure if your happy with it. my friend has a 620 ranger and pulls it with a 4 runner

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:07am - Nov 18,19 
The F-150 V8 has a limit of 2500 lbs? Are you sure? My intuition is that the F-150 should be better for towing than the honda. Maybe I'm wrong..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:33pm - Nov 18,19 
What year Passport? Honda had a real problem with transmission cooling for a while. My parents' 01 Odyssey trans lasted about 135k, about two or three times as long as average. When my grandfather bought it, the dealer didn't have the Honda tow kit available, so they put the biggest truck trans cooler on it they could find and that's why the trans held up for as long as it did. Once Honda went to the 5-speed and more transmissions, the problems seem to have been corrected.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:09pm - Nov 18,19 
Cheap(er) insurance - change your trans fluid once a year if your are worried. That stuff is the lifeblood of the transmission.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:25pm - Nov 18,19 
I used to pull my 20ft glass boat with a pilot. It did ok, but not great. I wouldn't go over 55 and she handled ok. I've since upgraded to a full size SUV and there is a big difference.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:22pm - Nov 18,19 
See if either brand has a tow package.My equinox has a factory tow package with the hitch and wiring and beefed up trans cooler all done by the factory.Also my own opinion longer wheel base smooths out bouncing on rough roads.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:49pm - Nov 18,19 
If you are towing once a month within an hour from home you’ll be okay for a couple years but I would not tow regularly with a 6 cylinder vehicle regardless of your favorite flavor. Engine, transmission and chassis is rated to pull but not built for that purpose.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:49am - Nov 19,19 
SDS wrote:
If you are towing once a month within an hour from home you’ll be okay for a couple years but I would not tow regularly with a 6 cylinder vehicle regardless of your favorite flavor. Engine, transmission and chassis is rated to pull but not built for that purpose.

My F-150 is a 6 cylinder and it's rated to tow like 12,000 pounds. There are some 6 cylinder engines that are built to tow. My 2011 ecoboost 6 cylinder pulls much harder than my previous 8 cylinder pickup trucks do/did by far.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:29am - Nov 19,19 
Used to own 08 honda pilot v6 awd with 4500 towing capacity. It can tow my 1900lb+ fiberglass boat with ease for several yrs with out any issue.
If you are leaning toward the passport get the awd. Not goin to attempt to pull a boat with fwd suv on those slippery incline ramps.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:02pm - Nov 19,19 
I have a 2015 Pilot EXL and towed my 18.5 Lund Pro V for the past 4 years. From what I understand the newer model Pilots do not come with any type of tow package or transmission cooler. I felt like the boat was the max of what I would feel comfortable towing with my pilot and I’m looking to get a pickup for the upcoming season because towing the boat had put some wear and tear on my Pilot.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 12:28pm - Nov 20,19 
Small SUVs are hit or miss on towing. Jeeps for instance get torn up. The other issue is fuel capacity. I used to tow a 20' boat with a Kia Borrego and my range was only 160 miles. Made long trips impossible.

Just about any SUV will pull it forward but when you need to stop fast or swerve to avoid hitting something the game changes.

Larger cars and trucks have a higher purchase price but you need to consider resale as well. Depreciation on a SUV is far worse then a pickup. I look at it is what did I pay minus what I will sell it for down the road. thats how much cost really is. I bought a used F250 that was 3 years old and 30k miles. Loaded with options. traded it in about 3 years later with 90k miles for 6k less then what I paid.

Parking brake should also be a consideration. You want a mechanical brake. I had to jump into a strangers SUV with a electric actuated brake to save it as it was rolling into the canal. Was a volkswagon SUV trying to load a 22'ish boat.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:09am - Nov 26,19 
Thanks to everyone for their comments. Once we move from this area we will not be towing the boat very far to go fishing or just hang out in the boat, no more than 100 miles and the terrain will be flat. Will definitely get a trans cooler.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:08am - Nov 28,19 
dan
for towing around town it would be tought to beat either honda the oly big difference between the hond pilot and the passpot is the rear cargo end the towing will be the same when equally equiped eng wise but you have been spoiled towing with the ford f150 and even your big B52 sized crysler van ( big as a whale) two of the most popular tow vihicles EVER GOING TO BE TOUGH TO LIVE UP TO THOSE EXPECTATIONS 1
but after your down in florida the hood either one will be a grest choice have a great time on your new adveture !!!!

make it a great road trip BIG DAN. https://youtu.be/9SOryJvTAGs?list=PLmXx ... VUJJj&t=43

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:34am - Dec 6,19 
Many thanks for all of the replies. Going to get the new Honda Passport with AWD and towing package in the spring. You're right Frank, that big old Dodge Ram Van (don't make them any more) was a beast. That 5.9 L V8 hardly knew the boat was back there. Got 12 MPG no matter what I was doing. The Ford F-150 with a 4.6 L V8 tows ok, but not like the Dodge. So, once we actually get down to Florida, the towing will only be to one of the local ramps (Charlotte Harbor, Peace River and Myakka River) and there are a dozen (free and not crowded) within 10-45 minutes. The boat will be great for the harbor and the rivers, maybe even sneak out towards (not in) the Gulf of Mexico if the winds are down.

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: