Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:04am - Sep 29,19 
What’s everyone using for rain gear? Looking to upgrade my set and trying to see what you guys are using and looking for pros and cons.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:26am - Sep 29,19 
Gore-Tex Pro Shell. Currently a Bass Pro 200 MPH top with Simms bibs.

Pros: Super lightweight, good mobility, and the most breathable material currently on the market. Will last years provided it's maintained and NOT abused.

Cons: Price. People don't realize that with rain gear, you get what you pay for. There isn't a "cheap" way to do it and get decent performance. That said, 20-40% sales on discontinued colors are common at reputable online dealers. Just need to know how specific manufactures cuts fit you.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26am - Sep 29,19 
And they keep you dry ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:58am - Sep 29,19 
Gore Tex is worth it if you’re active while fishing. If you’re wading or hiking into your fishing area or just really moving around a lot something breathable will keep you from getting wet from the inside out. If you’re not really working up a sweat though, just go with a vinyl suit like carharts or grundens. A low end rubber/vinyl set of gear will keep you dryer than the best goretex when it’s really raining. Watch deadliest catch or go take a trip to S/E Alaska. You won’t see too many pros wearing breathable gear.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:33am - Sep 29,19 
I do run on the hotter side, odds are I’ll have to get something breathable. Thanks for the input.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:27pm - Sep 30,19 
I do have two sets of the Bass pro gear. The lighter set is great on summer days, but the 200 mph is simply awesome. I wore them in driving rain in northern Wisconsin last May and was completely satisfied. The best part was the hood. Has a bill and wraps around where only your eyes are visible. What for the Black Friday sale to save about $100

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:50am - Oct 1,19 
All I’ve used has been STORMR rain gear and have never had a reason to change. The biggest asset to them is how breathable they are, I have no problem working charters in the middle of the summer with these on. Selling the pair so I can get a size up, willing to work on price.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=89194

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:06am - Oct 1,19 
southshore wrote:
Gore Tex is worth it if you’re active while fishing. If you’re wading or hiking into your fishing area or just really moving around a lot something breathable will keep you from getting wet from the inside out. If you’re not really working up a sweat though, just go with a vinyl suit like carharts or grundens. A low end rubber/vinyl set of gear will keep you dryer than the best goretex when it’s really raining. Watch deadliest catch or go take a trip to S/E Alaska. You won’t see too many pros wearing breathable gear.

That has nothing to do with performance. It's all about fabric durability. There is a reason Gore Tex doesn't allow their product to be put in work wear.

Also, no vinyl WILL NOT keep you drier because it doesn't breathe. Moisture will build from the inside, even under low activity levels.

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: