Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:16pm - Aug 9,18 
This morning, I was fishing a harbor I'm very familiar with. It has ample free parking and until now, I never felt the slightest bit of unease. Nothing was happening in terms of catching, and there weren't many others out fishing, either. However, there were plenty of non-fishing people enjoying the day.

On the west side of the harbor mouth, I'm on the rocks, golf course to my back. A muscular guy comes up to me, probably within an 8 foot radius. He has a small brown dog with him, and I'm thinking he's just following his unleashed dog. Then that feeling comes, and you know things are going to be a problem quick if luck runs out. The guy asks me if I have been working for the company for a long time. What company? He responds his favorite company. Said I didn't know what one that was. Now he comes a bit closer, stick in left hand, and he is holding cell phone in right hand. He takes my picture and has some illusion that I am CIA. Pretty disturbed person; he continues to make his point that I'm with some government agency, etc. Crazy!! He makes some space and gestures that he is watching me / on to me. That was my opportunity to get onto more level ground, better prepared to deal with this situation. About this time, and slightly humorous, a blackhawk helicopter was flying south. I said that was my ride, and had to go. But I warned him that we (I meant fishermen!) are EVERYWHERE! His eyes got wide and didn't seem sure if I was serious or not.

All that to say, he went his way, I went mine. The entire encounter was probably 3 minutes, felt like years. Be careful out there; keep aware of what is around you and know your escape routes / self-defense tactics if necessary.

As for the fishing - it sucked! Still a bit early for the run, but maybe soon?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:02pm - Aug 9,18 
Awesome story!! Thanks for sharing that. Makes me miss living in the city. That sucks if he made you fear for your safety, but I’ve met some of the strangest people along the shorelines. I used to keep a journal of all the crazy encounters I had with people in the city while fishing. I’m gonna have to find that now.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:32pm - Aug 9,18 
You are safe,and that is what is important. Lots of times when I am out I carry a "walking stick". Its neat, its carved and has neat carvings on it. But, its on the large side and heavier than a cane. It is helpful on oneven ground, but if need arises, it makes a great weapon/club.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:19pm - Aug 9,18 
Now that Illinois is a conceal carry state I don’t leave home without it. Especially fishing any Chicago harbor or Waukegan at night for Kings. Little know fact is you can legally carry while fishing many IL waters without a CCW license.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:03am - Aug 10,18 
TroutMouth06 wrote:
Now that Illinois is a conceal carry state I don’t leave home without it. Especially fishing any Chicago harbor or Waukegan at night for Kings. Little know fact is you can legally carry while fishing many IL waters without a CCW license.

How so? Can you give a few more details?

It's all about the fun! If you can't laugh at yourself, we'll do it for you.
Big Rods Fishing Team & Tacklebusters

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:01pm - Aug 10,18 
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/il ... d=71400000

Section 1.6 (3)

Now there are places where you legally can’t can’t carry while fishing regardless of you have a permit or not. I believe cook county forest preserves and other locations. One would have to research that particular body of water to make sure. Also if one were to carry and were stopped by the Law, that officer may not know or understand it. Which many don’t.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:27pm - Aug 10,18 
Similar thing happened to me at fox chain of lakes, that park by the route 12 bridge. Guy gets real close to me and says he's with the hells angels and wants to know who's "running things around here?" or something...had my kids with me and thought I was gonna have to defend myself. He was convinced I was connected with some gang etc. Now I always carry pepper spray and a buck knife.

John 21:10

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:38am - Aug 11,18 
I think the big take away is to be aware of what is around you and know what you are going to do before options close. The person that I encountered seemed to be off a bit. Tin-foil hat kind of stuff. Leave politics out of it - had nothing to do with the situation. This guy simply believed that I was with The Firm.

Regarding carrying without CCW - I'm not sure that is applicable as we are talking 2 different situations happening simultaneously. it is a distinction of difference as lawyers might say. First is fishing; second and unrelated to fishing, would have been discharge of a fire arm.

Argue all you want about the legality of discharge, but my position is while the person was within 21 feet (law enforcement standard) at the moment, there was no active threat of great bodily harm (hence why I looked to see what was in his hands). I still had options to diffuse and backup and create space. The last thing anybody wants is a life changing decision. I am really thankful that the situation, while unpleasant, did not escalate further. As another commenter said - I'm safe and that is truly what matters.

Just be on the lookout for a white male, 6-foot, short dark hair, muscular build with a small brown terrier-type dog. If you see him, tell him The Firm (not The Company, that was so 1988) says we are still watching him, and we are not hiring.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:05am - Aug 11,18 
TroutMouth06 wrote:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt%2E+24&ActID=1876&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=68200000&SeqEnd=71400000

Section 1.6 (3)

That’s a pretty fascinating loophole that you’ve found. I was skeptical so I read the rest of the statute and it sure looks legit. Still, I wonder if it would hold up in court if a fisherman on the shores of Lake Michigan got busted by the CPD for carrying a handgun without a concealed weapons permit. Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:00am - Aug 11,18 
I was not advocating your situation had escalated to the point where deadly force should or could be used. I believe you did an awesome job diffusing a very strange and potentially very dangerous situation. I was just stating that your situation could have very easily went the other way & the guy just snapped. Situations like that and many others is why I got my CCW permit.

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: