Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 08:40pm - Jul 5,17 
Well now I have some very sad news to share with all my friends here. Was going to start a new post but with our friend Murph taking such good care of educating us all on the hummers, it had to be shared here.

Walked out of the garage in the morning to a sight I did not want to see. Seems one of the hummers that hang around the house was stuck on the screen door.

(Mr. Moderator can you please fix the rotation of these, I did all things before uploading and again failed. Might frustrating.)

On with the tale,

Ran around to the door thinking I could quickly save the wee bird, but once I tried to pull it off the screen I knew the bad news.

I could see that it's beak had become entangled in the screen and it tried to free itself by the wear marks on it's beak.

Now to honor the fallen friend and gather new interest I did save it for a few hours as my grandchildren were on the way over. Showed them the bird and how when looked at in just the proper angle you could see the throat feathers true that "ruby red" in which they are named for. Kids will not forget it either as each one held the tiny creature with the same sadness I had in my heart.

Murph,
Does this sort of thing happen often? I have never had this happen in my years of watching.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:32pm - Jul 6,17 
wsj_outdoorsman wrote:

Murph,
Does this sort of thing happen often? I have never had this happen in my years of watching.

Bill, there are many many hazards in a Hummer's life, but I have never seen this either. The only thing close was 20 + years ago at our house in Des Plaines when one flew into the picture window (and then flew away) after seeing my wife's inside hanging plant.

The first thing that comes to mind here is that a late feeding Hummer was swooping in on critters attracted to light behind the screen door and didn't have time to correct. Damn, life is good, but it ain't always fair.

I found the unpleasant link below after I posted the Hummer closeup, but held off posting it. Your post and the link show Mother Nature is in charge.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5da_1499288301

BTW, what a sterling idea to take the chance to get the kids involved. Good Job Grandpa............Murph810

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:15pm - Jul 6,17 
Totally unfortunate in both occurrences above! Kudos to getting the kids involved to see it, though. Noting wrong with a little impromptu biology lesson, sad as it was.

On a better note, I do believe I've finally been able to decipher that there are two female ruby throats visiting my feeders, but have yet to see a male around them at all. I noticed one flew in from a tree in my neighbors yard this past weekend, drank, and went back that same direction towards the tree. Not 10 seconds later, from the exact opposite direction, another flew in and stopped at the other feeder. Just not sure why there are no males around. Anyone care to enlighten me? I'm not particularly well-versed in hummers and their mating and migration habits, yet. Still doing research. I would expect that this time of the year, there would be a male or two around with the females, though. Or am I wrong? Thanks!

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:28pm - Jul 6,17 
pezdek1 wrote:

On a better note, I do believe I've finally been able to decipher that there are two female ruby throats visiting my feeders, but have yet to see a male around them at all. Just not sure why there are no males around. Anyone care to enlighten me? I'm not particularly well-versed in hummers and their mating and migration habits, yet. Still doing research. I would expect that this time of the year, there would be a male or two around with the females, though. Or am I wrong? Thanks!

Yo Pez, its likely due to a couple of things:

1) An answer from: http://www.rubythroat.org/RTHUExternalMain.html

"HUMMINGBIRD EXTERNAL APPEARANCE --
Adult Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, Archilochus colubris, are sexually dimorphic; i.e., the adult male and adult female are different in external appearance. However, young males "masquerade" as females until their first winter, at which time they attain adult male plumage. This can make ageing and sexing difficult during summer and fall after young of the year have fledged. From mid-May through October, do not assume all white-throated hummers at your feeders are females; some undoubtedly will be young males."

2) And/or this may be due to the direction of the sun between you and the feeders. From the rear, male & females look the same. When they're facing you and the sun, the blaze of the gorget is amazing. Our feeders are on the North side of the house and the closest one (25' from my kitchen chair) is in the sun all day. With the sun at our back, as they work all the feeder ports, it's fascinating..........Murph810

Link below shows it better than my description.

"Ruby-throated Hummingbird gorget shine"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5cTz3cj5Y

More neat clips in the side drop downs.

Keep 'em clean, Keep 'em full, Keep 'em happy.Hope this helps..........Murph810

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:24pm - Jul 6,17 
Gotta say Murph, I was ready to get my gun and blow that Mantis away.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:17pm - Jul 26,17 
I don't know if anybody can answer this but this evening my two birds were coming in 5 minute intervals and then a large dragonfly(as big as the hummers) started hanging around and they never came back again.Are dragonflies a threat to them?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:45pm - Aug 24,17 
Hummingbird Migration News: August 22, 2017 by Rita Welch
https://www.learner.org/jnorth/humm/fal ... 82217.html

"Time to Go!

Hummingbirds migrate by instinct. Fewer hours of daylight trigger hormonal changes that cause the urge to fuel up and fly south. In response to these seasonal changes, your backyard hummers will leave while nectar-rich flowers are still in bloom and feeders are full. Males leave first, as early as mid-July. Females follow, and then the juveniles who migrate for the first time all alone.

Dawn to Dusk
Watch hummingbirds go on a feeding frenzy before leaving the breeding grounds. They will feed often and intensely for days in a state called hyperphagia. Hummers start feeding as early as forty-five minutes before sunrise and keep eating until dusk."

Next Update: August 29, 2017
Copyright 1997-2017 Journey North. All Rights Reserved.

For us, 2017 has been our best year ever; spanning 20 years and 3 houses. The spring hatch was outstanding with numerous Hummers visiting daily all year. For about a week now we have seen more birds stoking up and dominant males guarding both back yard feeders. 3 days ago my wife told me she was seeing Hummers working her front yard flowers, so for the first time I hung a saucer type feeder out there. Within a half hour, we had 'em using it. A half hour later, and another dominant male was chasing there too. We can walk from front to back thru the house and see males chasing on all 3 feeders at the same time.
It looks like the pre migration bulking up is starting, but the Hummers in Algonquin must have missed the above memo about starting in July. Hopefully, Mother Nature and Hummer site fidelity will have 'em back for a repeat performance next year. Life is good...........Murph810

PS: It hasn't been all roses fishingwise tho. I haven't gotten the Lund wet once this year. Just got it back from the shop again last week and Geneva Lake is calling. Life is good---and finally gettin' better.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:28pm - Aug 24,17 
Murph,
You know this is a fishing site, not bird watching (even though I love your thread on the hummers). You need to post a fishing report soon or the moderators may just turn you over to the Audubon society for rehab. :P

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:17pm - Aug 24,17 
wsj_outdoorsman wrote:
Murph,
You know this is a fishing site, not bird watching (even though I love your thread on the hummers). You need to post a fishing report soon or the moderators may just turn you over to the Audubon society for rehab. :P

Tks Bill, I was looking for a nice way to 1): Tell my wife that she won't have me underfoot anymore until ice up and 2): Tell my marine guy that I don't want to see him til ice out. I'm gonna print ur post in RED CAPS and tape it on his front door and our kitchen calendar..........Murph810

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:16pm - Sep 18,17 
quick question, are your birds still around? I havent seen my 2 in a couple of days

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:12am - Sep 19,17 
One here and one there, but not many.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:49am - Sep 19,17 
We had a 3-4 day dry spell til Sunday. Then, from 9 to noon we had 5. One on Monday. Won't be long now. Hopefully, the hurricanes training toward the states give 'em a break on their way to Costa Rica..........Murph810

Peak Migration
September 19, 2017 by Rita Welch

As peak migration continues, more ruby-throated hummingbirds arrive in mid-latitude states and along the Gulf Coast.

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/humm/fall ... 91917.html

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:05am - Sep 19,17 
My feeder's been constantly busy. We went through 8oz of nectar in a little more than a day. My wife mentioned how chubby all the birds are getting.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:26pm - Sep 19,17 
Mine too.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:19pm - Oct 12,17 
No hummers spotted in over two weeks. Friend in Palos Park has not seen any lately either. I still change the feed every week, just in case.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:56am - Oct 13,17 
Wife seen one the other day but the feeder was empty.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:53am - Oct 13,17 
I can't find it right now, but my wife was showing me a video of people setting up hundreds of hummingbird feeders somewhere along the Gulf coast, Texas I think, to give the hummers some well-needed calories before flying across the water. The hurricanes wiped out much of the usual flora the birds feed on and people didn't want a mass die-off during the migration.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:52am - Oct 13,17 
We had our last Hummer on 9/21. Took the feeders down on 10/5 . We had an outstanding Hummer year here in Algonquin. The effects of hurricanes on this years fall migration are worrisome, next spring will tell.........Murph810

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:11pm - Oct 13,17 
yes we put 2 feeders out and finally took them out last week. we usually see them Early AM and around Dinner time

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:36pm - Oct 13,17 
We have not seen one in a couple of weeks. Taking the feeders down tomorrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: