Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:44pm - May 18,17 
My daughter and I put up a feeder about a week ago. First time we've put one up. We've had multiple sightings of both male and female hummingbirds. The big surprise was when the Northern Oriole showed up. I've never seen one in my yard before. Beautiful bird. Also saw a Scarlet Tanager in the yard. Very good looking bird.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:03pm - May 18,17 
ThunderStick wrote:
My daughter and I put up a feeder about a week ago. First time we've put one up. We've had multiple sightings of both male and female hummingbirds. The big surprise was when the Northern Oriole showed up. I've never seen one in my yard before. Beautiful bird. Also saw a Scarlet Tanager in the yard. Very good looking bird.

Wow. Yours is one of the best first ever feeder successes I have ever heard of. Good job Dad, she has to think you're another John James Audobon. She'll never forget it...........Murph810

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:27am - May 20,17 
I'll be darned, had a female show up at my feeder today!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:42pm - May 23,17 
Hummingbird Migration News: May 20, 2017

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/humm/spri ... 51917.html

We got really jammed up timewise here , barely had time to eyeball their update...........Murph810

Chitown-Angler

Location: Des Plaines, IL 185 Nitro, 150 Merc XR6, Silver/Green

Post Posted: 08:03pm - May 23,17 
First arrival today 1500hrs male

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:10am - May 24,17 
Been getting hit more often. Not sure if they're transients or if they're hanging around. Had one sit on the feeder for a few minutes the other day. First time I've seen one still. Could turn out to be a good year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:41pm - May 24,17 
I've got 2 females,one sits and chows up and the other flutters and takes a couple sips.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:09am - May 31,17 
Hummingbird Migration News: May 26, 2017 by Mary Hosier
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/humm/spri ... 52617.html

Nectar Throughout the Season
It’s the end of May and migration for many hummingbirds is complete. Keep sharing your observations throughout the summer.

Where did my hummers go?
At the end of May observers are noticing that it seems their hummingbirds have virtually disappeared.
"We always have a couple of hummers around until fall. Last week we had 3, then nothing. Feeder is full and fresh but nothing at the shrimp plant or salvia either. What happened?"
Abbeville, Louisiana on May 13th.
Your birds are busy nesting and raising young at this time of year, according to hummingbird expert Lanny Chambers. During this time they seek out protein sources like small bugs to feed their young. Feeders and nectar sources are often second choice now.
Next Migration Update will be posted June 2.
Copyright 1997-2017 Journey North. All Rights Reserved.

############################################################################

As they say above, "Virtually disappeared" is true here in Algonquin. For about a week we only had one day where we had 4-5. Its all good tho, cuz soon they'll be back in force along with the young ones.

Link below shows what they're feeding on now:
HUMMINGBIRD NUTRITION:NECTAR IS SWEET BUT INSUFFICIENT
We've often wondered just what was in those black dots that comprise a hummingbird's feces, so this week at Hilton Pond we got out some glass microslides and cover slips and actually made a few wet mounts of hummingbird droppings.

http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek040808.html

Life is good............Murph810

PS:12:45. Fogot to add this link:
Full Documentary - Incredible Nature Hummingbirds - Magic in the Air HD.
The whole 50 min clip is well worth watching, ( SloMo of how they catch insects 14:35/18:06)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TevIHk9pWKc

Last edited by Murph810 on 11:48am - May 31,17, edited 2 times in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:25am - May 31,17 
My wife and I put up a feeder for the first time this year after seeing a few hummers at our weigala bushes last year. We saw our first bird at the feeder yesterday afternoon.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:03pm - May 31,17 
Seen a small one at the feeder yesterday. Must be one of this years offspring.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:03am - Jun 1,17 
BigJim wrote:
My wife and I put up a feeder for the first time this year after seeing a few hummers at our weigala bushes last year. We saw our first bird at the feeder yesterday afternoon.

My wife was excited when I got home last night. She said she jokingly whispered to the first hummingbird she saw at the feeder "Tell your friends!", and yesterday there were two!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:13pm - Jun 1,17 
BigJim wrote:
BigJim wrote:
<br abp="825"><br abp="826">My wife was excited when I got home last night. She said she jokingly whispered to the first hummingbird she saw at the feeder "Tell your friends!", and yesterday there were two!

WTG Mrs Jim, a Hummer Whisperer, especially with a first ever feeder, is just what we needed on this thread. Welcome aboard..........Murph810

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:02am - Jun 7,17 
Hummers finally coming to the feeders pretty steady now for about a week and a half. It's nice to see them back!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:40am - Jun 8,17 
After observing a hummingbird go to every window on my garage looking for a hand out I pulled the trigger and went out and purchased a feeder.
Nothing fancy but a starter feeder that came with a premix of liquid food. Reminds me of a plastic water bottle that gets turned upside down on some plastic peddle.
Well anyhow have not seen a bird on it yet but the level had gone down. Time will tell .....

Dave

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:20pm - Jun 8,17 
Limitout wrote:
Hummers finally coming to the feeders pretty steady now for about a week and a half. It's nice to see them back!!!

We've had the same thing here in Algonquin. Looks like there was a very good hatch this year. Today from 1100 til 100 we had a constant stream of about 30 singleton visitors. No multiples, all three feeders were active. Oddly enough, there's no dominant male, I expect that to change soon tho.

dupagewader wrote:
After observing a hummingbird go to every window on my garage looking for a hand out I pulled the trigger and went out and purchased a feeder.<br abp="825">Nothing fancy but a starter feeder that came with a premix of liquid food. Reminds me of a plastic water bottle that gets turned upside down on some plastic peddle.<br abp="826">Well anyhow have not seen a bird on it yet but the level had gone down. Time will tell .....<br abp="827"><br abp="828">Dave

Welcome aboard Dave. That Hummer may have been attracted to the red garage door emergency release handle as explained in this link:

http://www.hummingbirds.net/about.html#garage

If so, covering it with black tape may prevent a Hummer from getting trapped in the garage.

June 2 was supposed to be the last spring update from Journey North, but I never got it.
Keep 'em clean, keep 'em full, keep 'em happy. Life is good...........Murph810

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:27pm - Jun 8,17 
Dupagewader, if you use the packets from the cheap feeders and they have the red dye in the mix and it's not good for the birds. Use the recommended mix of 1 part sugar and 3 parts water.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:44am - Jun 9,17 
Limitout,

The red dye mix was premade liquid so no packets of power/crystals were used. The label on the box described vitamins for the bird as well.
I can take a picture of the bottle is you like.

Dave

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:47am - Jun 24,17 
Put our first feeders up this year after being buzzed by a hummer numerous times in the yard last summer. We're in Bolingbrook for some background info. We consistently have, at the very least, one female ruby throated that is here every 10-15 minutes or so. Could be multiple birds, but it's hard to tell. Haven't seen multiple at a time at the feeders to know yet, either. Pretty excited that we have at least one daily, reoccurring visitor, though. Hoping with more time we start to see more, and more show up. My gf is a bird lover, so looking to turn the backyard into a bird haven for her. Hummers, more specifically.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Location: Des Plaines, IL 185 Nitro, 150 Merc XR6, Silver/Green

Post Posted: 10:56pm - Jun 24,17 
Murph, being the HUMMER HONCHO, can you tell me do they visit your feeders at night? What do you think is their most active feeding period?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:17am - Jun 25,17 
I think I can answer that. Birds are most active at dawn & dusk, also before storms.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: