Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:28pm - Jan 10,19 
I've got a $100 Cabela's gift card burning a hole in my pocket (Thanks, Santa).

I primarily fly fish but I've been doing a lot more conventional fishing lately - mostly bass fishing in local ponds. I picked up a Cabela's branded rod/spinning real combo a few years ago for around $50. It's ok, but nothing special and I'm interested in upgrading.

My question - Should I try getting another combo in that $100-$150 range, but stick with a name-brand, or should I spend the $100 on a better reel to use with my current Cabela's rod?

I've been throwing general bass lures and a lot of plastics (senkos mostly).

Any suggestions?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:36pm - Jan 10,19 
Get yourself a st. croix spinning rod and pair it with a shimano reel. You should be able to do this for around 150-175. Not crazy expensive and you will be happy. Both will last a long time and both st. croix and shimano are good at backing their products in case you break one of them. My second choice of reel would be an abu garcia....Revos are nice but you may be going over budget then.

On a side note, cabelas stuff is good stuff. And if you break a pole they will swap it out no questions asked. I have also done this with St. Croix through cabelas....but not sure if that is standard protocol or if they were being nice

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:29pm - Jan 10,19 
I agree with the advice above, but don't see how it would be done for $150 or less, unless that's $150 for the rod, and $150 for the reel. If it's $150 or less for both, then a St. Croix would eat up almost your entire budget unless you went used. Seeing as how you want to use a Cabela's gift card, that wouldn't work. But remember, you can use that gift card at BassPro too. That should open up your options if you want to go hold it in your hands before buying.

When you do conventional fish, what techniques do you tend to favor? What do you feel your current combo is lacking?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:50pm - Jan 10,19 
I’d say be patient and watch for a sale. Cabelas has pretty solid house brand stuff. A lot of their gear is made in the same factories as the name brands and just has a different label on it. I’ve got high end rods from loomis and st Croix in my rack and there’s plenty of time I’m using my cabelas fish eagle rod or an okuma junker because it’s a better too for what I want to do. Cabela usually has a good sale late winter/early spring. If you know what type of stuff you want to do, you may get a more specific rod/reel recommendation.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:09pm - Jan 10,19 
The good news is that there are a lot of good rod and reels out there that will make you happy. It's tough to go wrong if you stick with Daiwa or Shimano for the spinning reel in the price range you want. I know a lot of people swear by their Pflueger President spinning reel but I never owned one and am not familiar with them. I think Cabela's spinning reels were made by Daiwa and if that is the case then you could wait till one of those goes on sale. In terms of rods, St Croix does make a fine rod but I wouldn't limit myself to that brand if I were on a budget. For what it's worth, all my spinning rigs have Daiwa reels and Dobyns rods.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:43am - Jan 11,19 
Take a look at the Abu Garcia Veritas rods. They're no St. Croix, but they're pretty decent for the $60 they always seem to be on sale for. I've got one paired with a Symetre FJ2500. Got the reel on sale too, so the whole thing cost about $120. A word of caution: The Veritas rods are underated on power pretty badly. I got a 7' medium and wish it was a medium-light. It's a lot beefier than my medium power Mojo spinner.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:59pm - Jan 11,19 
My favorite "all around" combo I keep in my car and use for everything from panfish to big carp is a Pflueger Presidential spinning reel (size 30x) coulple with a st. Croix mojo bass spinning rod (single piece 7'6" medium fast). I love it. I bought the st. Croix new for $100 but looks like they are going for more now. I'm sure you can shop around for the same thing but something cheaper. Same for the Plueger, here it is for $60 but I know I bought it for less.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Fishing-Reels/ ... nning+reel

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:42pm - Jan 11,19 
I love my Shimano Spirex reels. They have the trigger fire on them that are nice for quick multiple casts. I've been happy with my Cabelas Tourney Trail rods as well. I've landed some pig Smallies along with most other species available on the Fox on my ultralight, as well as some nice Browns and Coho on Lake Michigan.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:27am - Jan 14,19 
Thanks to everyone for your input. I've decided I'll use the gift card to get a $100 reel and pair it with my current Cabela's rod - until I get some more gift cards (Father's day will be here before we know it!!). Then I'll use that for a rod and have a solid combo for many years.

I forgot about Cabela's and Bass Pro being under the same umbrella, so I'll look at their site too.

I agree that their branded stuff is pretty good, but when you compare the cheaper one I have now with nicer gear, you can really tell the difference. I'm going to look at as many as I can in that price range before I pull the trigger.

I also like the St Croix stuff - I've got 2 fly rods and 1 or 2 of their ice rods. Love them!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11am - Jan 15,19 
I saw yesterday, they have a PFlueger Summit 30 on sale, it is just one reel, so you'd have to get in there quick. I believe it was on sale for $49.99. It's located on their new reel sale/clearance bar area.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:53pm - Jan 16,19 
A good Shimano will last a lifetime, I have found great deals on Stratics on eBay then spend the gift card on an awesome rod. Take care of the combo and it will be you go to for years....I’m sure you know the feeling of a great fly rod in your hands, a great spinning combo will be no different.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:29am - Jan 17,19 
Smitty wrote:
My question - Should I try getting another combo in that $100-$150 range, but stick with a name-brand, or should I spend the $100 on a better reel to use with my current Cabela's rod?

I've been throwing general bass lures and a lot of plastics (senkos mostly).

Any suggestions?

I would spring for a better reel and use your Cabelas rod until Santa brings you more gift cards (I like Shimano & St. Croix rods). My opinion is also premised on the idea that I'd rather eventually have a higher quality combo than 2 lesser quality combos of the same power & action.

That being said, I used a Pfleuger Summit on a Fenwick Silverhawk for my senko/drop-shot rod until I upgraded. The Summit retails at $49.99, and the Fenwick is a Cabela's exclusive product and is on sale right now for $79.99. So, you could have a decent combo for $130.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:09pm - Jan 17,19 
You can grab that Pflueger Summit 30 reel and pair it with a Shimano Compre rod and have a great combo for 150.00

Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 10 gen2
Simrad Is40
sonarhub
LSS1
Lowrance point 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 electric downriggers
2 High Seas quad rod trees
4 Bert's ratcheting rod holders

Board index » The Tackle Box » Hot Rods ~ Reels and Home Grown..... Baits of Course
Jump to: