Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:54am - Jun 17,20 
Anyone have any luck on the perch? Talked to a guy that had a few smaller ones from shore north of the city

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:58pm - Jun 17,20 
Would like to go have done well in past summers but just scared to drive down there at this time.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:00pm - Jun 17,20 
RT I don’t blame you, but I’m not letting it stop me. Fishing wolf lake tomorrow but if I knew there were Perch somewhere I would be heading there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:30pm - Jun 17,20 
fished pratt. the horseshoe, and diversey. not a perch in sight

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:53pm - Jun 17,20 
Whoever wants to try end of June to early July the perch sometimes come in by the rock wall by the copter pad.The rocks have numbers spray painted on them which I would use for markers.I would look for a hole in the weedbeds anchor up and just drop 3 single hook set lines with baby roaches over the gunnel and kick back and wait for a school to move thru.Sometimes you could watch the rod tip and see the minnows getting spooked.When a school hits just throw them on the floor and get back out before they leave.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:06am - Jun 18,20 
I've been fishing all over the city, from shore and boat, I havent even seen a perch. Lots of smallies and drum and even seen a....... musky? The so called "perch charter" was out but I dont think hes catching em, more or less fishing for a paycheck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:22pm - Jun 19,20 
Saw schools of perch in Waukegan Harbor . Water clear to bottom . Lots of pan fish and largemouth bass as well as a few nice size pike .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:08pm - Jun 24,20 
Was dead at 87th street today for perch but managed a few smallies south of the slip along the rocks. Gorgeous day.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:51pm - Jun 24,20 
Any problems traveling to the launch thru the city?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:31pm - Jun 24,20 
RT. Early in the morning you shouldn’t have a problem. On your way home pic your route wisely. Like I stated been fishing wolf lake and haven’t had any problems. Things are a little more relaxed now.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:59am - Jun 25,20 
I'm going to get out Sat Sun Mon actually just checked NOAA and it looks like Sun Mon for my trips out of South Haven MI. Boy am I looking forward to the season. I've fished perch out of S.H. consistently for past 4 years. I've seen a steady size increase on that side. I've found a few fellow boats that give me an indication of where to concentrate when I get on the water. I gained their camaraderie when I've waived them over to my boat when I'm on the bite. The 'social' aspect of perching is something I enjoy. There are enough for everybody once you find them. I will report back as things develop. Tight lines

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:09pm - Jun 25,20 
Thanks grindstone. Been wanting to head East for most of June. Just haven’t had the time.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:29am - Jun 26,20 
Do you buy the yearly DNR sticker for up there, there enforcing it this year at DNR ramps or do you launch somewhere else?
Thanks. Fish New Buffalo alot and St Joe some so just wandering.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:15am - Jun 27,20 
The perch from Lake Michigan are in the cormorants One bird was tested by IDNR with over 100 perch fingerlings in it's belly .
Question . Are cormorants an invasive species and therefor should be allowed to be killed anyway possible ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:26am - Jun 28,20 
bill1 wrote:
The perch from Lake Michigan are in the cormorants One bird was tested by IDNR with over 100 perch fingerlings in it's belly .
Question . Are cormorants an invasive species and therefor should be allowed to be killed anyway possible ?

And lake trout bellies. The Lakers and perch are in close proximity to one another most of the year. No, cormarants aren't invasive but the population has greatly benefited from the regulation of DDT and such.

I'm not sure if they'd eat anything that wasn't swimming but I thought if someone were to poison them out by the cribs they'd kill thousands. The water intakes out on the lake are so packed with cormorants you can smell it half a mile away... they're gross. I think some states are starting to allow hunting them though.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:06pm - Jun 28,20 
I launched at cal park a few summers ago and thought there was an oil slick out there.I t was thousands of cormorants.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:29am - Jun 29,20 
Fished Saturday out of South Haven 12 nice sized. That’s a half s limit but I also had 3 nice flat heads 5 - 7 lbs. fun on a perch rod. Most were right at 12”. The DNR pass is on many of the little inland lake we fish for B. G and we usually take by buddies boat and truck for those but not on L Mi launches or St Joe. Today I was thinking it would be my day not so much. 4 it was slow enough I called by bride for a boat ride. One buddy the local perch king had 14 between two guys. Beautiful day on the water as was yesterday. I’ll get em next weekend

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:22am - Jul 2,20 
Well the next weekend is here. Weather looks great for Friday Saturday and Sunday out of south Haven 1’ all three days. Checking the buoy water temps I’ll probably start in 30 FOW straight out of port and head S first if I need to search. Look for me in an 18’ Crestliner tiller most likely solo with a Yamaha. I’ll be happy to share what I figure out. Don’t hunker down in a pack unless you’re catching or they’re killing it all around you. Work deeper shallower N or S watch your graph they are there but not yet really stacked yet. Tight lines.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:17am - Jul 2,20 
Any recommendations if I launch out of Portage?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:06pm - Jul 2,20 
https://glbuoys.glos.us/45170 see if that link opens, its the closest one to Portage (Michigan City). It along with a current NOOA nearshore forecast are the best pieces of information to try to figure where the perch will be. The buoys give the water temp through out the water column. Summer pattern start looking for 65-70 as shown on the buoy temp right now out of Portage I'd start at 25 FOW. That depth can change in a couple of hours. Spend time searching shallow to deep for perch rather than anchoring up because you see other boats. If you see marks - meaning school of fish - and drop and they don't bite they aren't perch. Mid summer the perch can school so thick and deep it can look like a bait ball. If you get on them wave over other boats about 3/4 of them will reciprocate and over time you'll build an informal network. If the wind is pushing you at .7 or less drifting then spot locking when the graph lights up is my go to. Tight lines

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Lake Michigan » Perch
Jump to: