Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:27pm - Mar 9,18 
Went to check the 89th Street Slip to see if any of the Perch made it back after last weekends exit, and I found the new signs posted. :(

It was great while it lasted!

Last edited by tommy_tater on 06:39pm - Mar 10,18, edited 2 times in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:15am - Mar 10,18 
What does the "Fish Advisory" sign say/read

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:00am - Mar 10,18 
If you can't fish. why do you need an advisary??

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:21am - Mar 10,18 
"Fish Advisory"
The State of Illinois has issued a fish advisory recommending limits of consumption on fish from the Calumet River, due to the potential presence of chemicals in the fish from the Calumet River waters. A copy of the current Illinois Fish Advisory is available where fishing licenses are sold, or by calling (217) 782-6424.
More information is available at WWW.IDPHSTATE.IL.US./ENVHEALTH/FACTSSHEETS/FISHADV.HTM

Below are links to the IDPH Fish Advisory:

http://dph.illinois.gov/topics-services ... ulticounty

http://dph.illinois.gov/sites/default/f ... pdf#page=2

http://dph.illinois.gov/sites/default/f ... 071717.pdf

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:18am - Mar 10,18 
Bulldawg,

I imagine they put up the "Fish Advisory" sign as another way of deterring people from fishing the area.
From what I have read, it looks like the same "Fish Advisory" for eating the Perch on Lake Michigan.

1 meal is consideration 1/2lb. of fish.

For YELLOW PERCH:

Below: Copied from the IDPH website:

2016 Special Mercury Advisory:
Larger than 11", 1 meal/week: Women beyond childbearing age, and males more than 15 years old
Larger than 11", 1 meal/month: Pregnant or nursing women, women of childbearing age, and children less than 15 years old

2016 Polychlorinated Biphenyl (PCB), Chlordane and Dioxin Fish Advisory:
Less than 11", 1 meal/week
Larger than 11", See Mercury Advisory above.

Fish Advisories

The following meal advisories for fish found with elevated levels of chlordane, dioxin, methylmercury and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) are based primarily on protecting sensitive populations, most particularly women who are pregnant, nursing, or of childbearing age, fetuses, and children younger than 15 years of age. All advisories may be overprotective for women beyond childbearing age and males 15 years of age and older.

PLEASE NOTE: THE METHYLMERCURY ADVISORY APPLIES TO PREDATORY FISH IN ALL ILLINOIS WATERS. Predator fish include all species of black bass (largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, and spotted bass), striped bass, hybrid striped bass, white bass, walleye, sauger, saugeye, flathead catfish, muskellunge, and northern pike. For more information on fish advisories in specific Illinois waterways, please see Fish Advisory Interactive Map under RESOURCES in the right-hand column.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:14pm - Mar 10,18 
Here I believe the real story is about no fishing at 87th and 89 st owned by US Steel . About a year ago they released some chemicals into the lake at their Gary plant and did not repot the correct amount I believe . They are or were sued by a surfer group and the City Of Chicago saying it polluted their water source . Get the drift now . So it"s a way of covering their ass about eating fish and to put it too Illinois fishermen . Boat fishermen will have it all to their selves but shore fishermen are shinola out of luck . Will still be able to fish the very mouth of 87th cause the City owns that land and the early few weeks we can getb them there but when they move uo into the slip were done . Wish the State would buy the land and open up the lake front for all use of that land or ths DNR but shinola they are broke I hear . shinola rolls down hill hope you have a helmet on .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:39pm - Mar 10,18 
When i was there last week it looked like they had a boom across the slip about halfway down. Boats wont be able to go any farther than that unless its removed.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:49pm - Mar 10,18 
Isn't that the south side of the slip? The north side is park district land isn't it?

Totally bummed if it is totally shut down. The perching this past season was the absolute best ever!

M

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:36pm - Mar 10,18 
Treesnagger wrote:
When i was there last week it looked like they had a boom across the slip about halfway down. Boats wont be able to go any farther than that unless its removed.

The boom which you are referring to is stretched across the 87th Street Slip. The 87th Street Slip runs East & West. The park district area that you can still fish is at the mouth of the slip, which is the East side of the slip.

This topic is about the shutdown of the 89th Street slip or channel, which runs North & South, the South end of the 89th slip is attached to the Calumet River.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Perch
Jump to: