Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:02pm - Jul 29,17 
Spent the last week in South Haven MI celebrating my parents 60th on the lake. I arrived on Sunday only to see the locals right in front of the beach house. Let me say I was fired up since my fishing has been limited the last 2 years because of the birth of my two children and work. The next day we ran for bait -$10 for 6 dozen and set up in 27-28 ft. Picked up few right away then hell fire one after another for an hour then they moved. The ipilot trolling motor was put in to use to hunt the schools down. We ended up caching over 100 on Monday only keeping 30 keepers. Tuesday and Wednesday the NW-NE winds picked up but that did not slow us down. The fished pushed into 17-21' and did not move. Let me just say we murdered them but no jumbos. Lots of 6-7" fish keeping only the 9-10" fish that made for an awesome meal for the whole family. I did see one pig pulled from 30' on a rock pile By a local. This fish had to be close to 16".

My setup was 7' fenwick with 8 lb green XT line and double green fly rig. The bigger minnows took the bigger fish. No baby roaches to be found in the area so I just doubled up on the minnows on the lower hook. Water temp was 70 then went down to 60 on Wednesday.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:18am - Jul 31,17 
The wind Sunday died there were a lot of people out perching mostly south of the Black River. Sweet when you see "waves one foot or less" on NOOA. The surface temp has dropped 12 degrees after the several days of north winds. If you are heading up the local bait shop Pyles Porthole has closed. There is a place like 8-10 miles W on Phoenix in Grand Junction. Tight lines I'll be out later in the week if the weather cooperates

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:23pm - Aug 1,17 
Nice congrats

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:01am - Aug 31,17 
I was out on Monday 8/25. South of the river in front of the dunes and N of the power plant in 36 FOW a mother load. Strange to be the lone boat sitting on a huge pod of mostly smaller perch. Literally if I hit bottom and did not get bit I had been striped on the drop. Any one care to weigh in on if you are catching tons of dinks where are the jumbos? Would they be all mixed size wise? I caught a few jumbos and my share of nines but to improve the odds do perch segregate in the school? I had only small minnows in my bucket. I don't know that I ever have seen so many on the graph an at times eight foot mass on marks. Tight lines.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:40pm - Aug 31,17 
How small were the dinks because I have caught jumbos in the past coughing up 2 inch perch so I assumed they were below the school feeding on them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:37pm - Aug 31,17 
Perch will stay in there own size groups. The bigger ones were probably feast on the small ones as they do, if all dinks then move and try and find the bigger fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:04pm - Sep 3,17 
hows the perchn as of late?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:18am - Sep 5,17 
Winds kept me in the harbor (zilch) and inland lakes :) all weekend. Some pier head king reports. We'll see what next weekend brings. Thanks for the replies on the perch size question

Board index » Lake Michigan » Perch
Jump to: